Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Lang. Exchange -- Audio & Video Material?

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5163 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 1 of 3
05 August 2010 at 6:06pm | IP Logged 
How do you use recorded audio or video material in the context of a language exchange with a partner?

I meet with a few language exchange partners on a weekly basis, usually in a café, and lately I've been pondering the possibility of bringing in audio recordings such as radio podcasts, for instance. In these podcasts, a bunch of guys talk about a variety of topics, and I thought it'd be nice to make use of these for oral practice, bringing a new dimension to the study of real, natural and spontaneous language.

Other than the obvious way, namely plugging in 2 pairs of headphones in an mp3 player and listening to chunks at a time, then discussing them, I can't really think of a good way to make the best of such material. I should add that we meet in public places, so I can't really do without the headphones.

If you have any experience incorporating audio or video material into language exchange sessions, please share!
1 person has voted this message useful

ANK47
Triglot
United States
thearabicstudent.blo
Joined 6879 days ago

188 posts - 259 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), Arabic (classical)

Message 2 of 3
16 August 2010 at 12:49am | IP Logged 
I don't see a problem with doing it the way you suggested. They also have things you can buy to plug in multiple headphones to 1 computer if you'd rather do it that way. My favorite way to do audio like that is to listen to pause very often and discuss each little chunk. Have the student tell you what they heard and what it means. If they don't know then tell them and have them listen to it again until they hear what you told them was being said. This is a GREAT way to learn.

I just wrote that out and realized that you didn't say you were the teacher. If you're all learning a language together then you can still use the method above just sometimes no one will know all the words. It's still very useful provided you have a decent grasp of the language.

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5614 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 3 of 3
16 August 2010 at 10:52am | IP Logged 
Email them the podcast, you all listen in advance, then come prepared to discuss and ask any questions. You could still bring the audio along in case there is a tricky section people might have questions on.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version