Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Hearing words in isolation & Techniques?

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
10 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
ibraheem
Groupie
United States
Joined 5147 days ago

84 posts - 106 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Mandarin

Message 1 of 10
05 August 2010 at 6:58pm | IP Logged 
Any opinions on hearing words in your target language in isolation as a form of study?

I know everyone must do this to some extent, but would it be useful to take it a step further.

Such as IF one was able to hear several thousand words a day, with the possibility of hearing most words in a language in less than a week, as another form of oral input.

Edited by ibraheem on 05 August 2010 at 6:59pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Akalabeth
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5301 days ago

83 posts - 112 votes 
Studies: German, Japanese

Message 2 of 10
05 August 2010 at 8:09pm | IP Logged 
I study audio→meaning in Anki for Japanese using isolated words, but I can also play
audio for a sentence using the word if context is necessary. I don't do thousands per day
though. I don't know if there would be much benefit for doing thousands unless you
actually thought you could somehow commit a good portion to memory. If it was just
passive listening you were going for, I would think just listening to online radio or
music or something would be more effective.

michaelmichael
Canada
Joined 5039 days ago

167 posts - 202 votes 
Studies: French

Message 3 of 10
05 August 2010 at 8:16pm | IP Logged 
ibraheem wrote:
Any opinions on hearing words in your target language in isolation as a form of study?

I know everyone must do this to some extent, but would it be useful to take it a step further.

Such as IF one was able to hear several thousand words a day, with the possibility of hearing most words in a language in less than a week, as another form of oral input.

As a beginner ? No, I don't think it's that great because I actually did that. I bought a flash card program called Byki before knowing about anki, and they have about 1957 flash cards and the corresponding mp3s. It is 50/50 phrases and words. Before knowing about this site, I didn't have assimil, or pimsleur so I just kept listening to those words. while i had only done 1200 words with the flashcard program at home, I decided to put the entire 1957 mp3s on scramble, so I would hear all the words at random.

My itunes tells me that I heard some of these words up to 40 times, while sitting in the train, but i didn't retain many of them. The ones i already knew where reinforced, and the ones i didn't know, i would hear and say huh ? If you are at a more advance stage, and are already familiar with those words, i think it will just solidify what you already know. So it helped me review the 1200, but I don't think it really added any new words for me. I guess I'm more of a visual learner, and like to know the spelling in order to retain the word.

I think pimsleur is probably the best if you just want audio with no prior preparation. I also like looping the assimil readings that i have already studied.

Edited by michaelmichael on 05 August 2010 at 8:19pm

ibraheem
Groupie
United States
Joined 5147 days ago

84 posts - 106 votes 

Message 4 of 10
06 August 2010 at 12:47am | IP Logged 
I would not expect to retain words using this technique. But there could be some benefits especially if combined with other techniques. To be able to hear and see a large amount of words and not the limited amount you hear in a podcast or newsreport.

This thread is more about Hearing Words in Isolation in general.

michaelmichael
Canada
Joined 5039 days ago

167 posts - 202 votes 
Studies: French

Message 5 of 10
06 August 2010 at 1:26am | IP Logged 
ibraheem wrote:
I would not expect to retain words using this technique. But there could be some benefits especially if combined with other techniques. To be able to hear and see a large amount of words and not the limited amount you hear in a podcast or newsreport.

This thread is more about Hearing Words in Isolation in general.

Well I guess doing something is always better than doing nothing. So yes, i would agree that there some benefits exist. You get use to the phonemes and such, however; listening to pimsleur or assimil will be more beneficial. If you aren't expecting to retain the words, I'm not particularly sure what the point of having lots and lots of words (+1000) in isolation would be. That would just decreases your chance of remembering any of them .

Edited by michaelmichael on 06 August 2010 at 1:26am

luhmann
Brazil
Joined 5115 days ago

156 posts - 271 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: Mandarin, French, English, Italian, Spanish, Persian, Arabic (classical)

Message 6 of 10
06 August 2010 at 3:12pm | IP Logged 
I am preparing cards for sound recognition. In the front there will a recording of a word, in the back it's phonetic transcription. I will be testing only for sound interpretation. If I recognise a word immediately, on the first try, I will delete it, and keep only those that have given me any difficulty.

Being able to recognise word in isolation is an important skill, which can be easily acquired by SRS drilling, and I think this could possibly make my listening comprehension skyrocket -- if I can tap a source of recordings large enough.

I have been relying only on media as listening practice, and hoped listening would take care of itself. But after reading about HVPT (in doviende's post here), I realised I should make a systematic approach towards building my listening comprehension from the basic elements upwards. When you are listening to media, your brain will only hold on to the elements that are necessary to parse the meaning, you do not look deeper into an apparently unambiguous sentence. Listening to the word in isolation is, therefore, necessary to allow you to notice every detail that will help in its identification, without cues from the context.

ibraheem
Groupie
United States
Joined 5147 days ago

84 posts - 106 votes 

Message 7 of 10
06 August 2010 at 6:28pm | IP Logged 
luhmann wrote:
I am preparing cards for sound recognition. In the front there will a recording of a word, in the back it's phonetic transcription. I will be testing only for sound interpretation. If I recognise a word immediately, on the first try, I will delete it, and keep only those that have given me any difficulty.

Being able to recognise word in isolation is an important skill, which can be easily acquired by SRS drilling, and I think this could possibly make my listening comprehension skyrocket -- if I can tap a source of recordings large enough.

I have been relying only on media as listening practice, and hoped listening would take care of itself. But after reading about HVPT (in doviende's post here), I realised I should make a systematic approach towards building my listening comprehension from the basic elements upwards. When you are listening to media, your brain will only hold on to the elements that are necessary to parse the meaning, you do not look deeper into an apparently unambiguous sentence. Listening to the word in isolation is, therefore, necessary to allow you to notice every detail that will help in its identification, without cues from the context.

You can try Dictionarist.com, dictionary with sound, for several languages. Also http://en.bab.la/dictionary/ is good.

luhmann
Brazil
Joined 5115 days ago

156 posts - 271 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: Mandarin, French, English, Italian, Spanish, Persian, Arabic (classical)

Message 8 of 10
06 August 2010 at 7:45pm | IP Logged 
ibraheem wrote:
You can try Dictionarist.com, dictionary with sound, for several languages. Also http://en.bab.la/dictionary/ is good.

Thanks, I was going to try to grab those, but I have just found out that the Shtooka project offers many recordings for download, here.

Edited by luhmann on 06 August 2010 at 10:00pm

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version