Israel
Joined 5031 days ago

51 posts - 61 votes 
Speaks: Modern Hebrew*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 10
06 August 2010 at 1:51pm | IP Logged 
Hello,

i have gone through Unit 10 of programmatic today. Boy, do i like it!?!
I have been sharpening my study method during this last month. Finally i have acquired a kind of a vibe from my lessons.
I have a few questions though, because the book doesn't offer answers to the application section:
1) 'Tuve' in contrast to 'tuve que'. Is 'tuve que' the same as 'tengo que' meaning.. I had to do something.?
2) tuve que recomendarlo al hospital. what does it mean? my guess: i had to recommend it to the hospital.
3) what is wrong with the following sentences:
Jose' es Colombiano.

Usted es americano?

4) how would you translate the following sentences:

what? you didnt prepare today's lesson? Que? no lo-preparo' la leccion de hoy?

tomorrow's? La de manana?

Yes, I want to receive the invitation today, early. Si', Quiero recibir la invitac'ion
temprano, hoy.

I didn't confirm it; José did. no, yo no lo-confirme', Jose' lo-confirmo'.

José?! When did he prepare it? Jose'?! Cuando lo-preparo'?

Nora?! When did she Finish it? Nora?! Cuando lo-termino'?

Which Colombian (girl)? The one wanting to sell a car? Cual colombiana? La que quiere vender un carro?

If you don't want to today, you can decide that tomorrow, early. si no quiere hoy, puede decidir eso manana.

Thank you in advance for any help

Edited by talkl on 06 August 2010 at 1:53pm

1 person has voted this message useful

datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5380 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 2 of 10
08 August 2010 at 1:51am | IP Logged 
talkl wrote:
Hello,

I have been sharpening my study method during this last month. Finally i have acquired a kind of a vibe from my lessons.
I have a few questions though, because the book doesn't offer answers to the application section:
1) 'Tuve' in contrast to 'tuve que'. Is 'tuve que' the same as 'tengo que' meaning.. I had to do something.?
2) tuve que recomendarlo al hospital. what does it mean? my guess: i had to recommend it to the hospital.
Jose' es Colombiano.

Usted es americano?

Yes, I want to receive the invitation today, early. Si', Quiero recibir la invitac'ion
temprano, hoy.

Which Colombian (girl)? The one wanting to sell a car? Cual colombiana? La que quiere vender un carro?

If you don't want to today, you can decide that tomorrow, early. si no quiere hoy, puede decidir eso manana.

1. Yes

2. Correct again :)

3. Jose es colombiano is correct, you can also say "Jose es de colombia."
The question "Usted es americano?" should be ¿Es Usted americano? I could be wrong, but I don't think the names of nations are capitalized in Spanish.

4. ¿Como? ¿No preparaste (the familiar tú) la lección para hoy? tomorrow's = la lección para mañana.
I would say "Quiero recibir la invitación hoy, temprano."
The car one seems correct :)
cual has a mark ' though, don't forget :)
The last one is correct too!

I think I gave you the correct responses, but I'll wait for a native to correct them. Everyone can make mistakes :)
3 persons have voted this message useful

talkl
Diglot
Groupie
Israel
Joined 5031 days ago

51 posts - 61 votes 

Message 3 of 10
08 August 2010 at 7:10pm | IP Logged 
datsunking1 wrote:
talkl wrote:
Hello,

Jose' es Colombiano.

Usted es americano?

temprano, hoy.

1. Yes

2. Correct again :)

3. Jose es colombiano is correct, you can also say "Jose es de colombia."
The question "Usted es americano?" should be ¿Es Usted americano? I could be wrong, but I don't think the names of nations are capitalized in Spanish.

4. ¿Como? ¿No preparaste (the familiar tú) la lección para hoy? tomorrow's = la lección para mañana.
I would say "Quiero recibir la invitación hoy, temprano."
The car one seems correct :)
cual has a mark ' though, don't forget :)
The last one is correct too!

I think I gave you the correct responses, but I'll wait for a native to correct them. Everyone can make mistakes :)

thank you.
I like the fact that some of the sentences have hidden grammatical points that i had to conjure by myself.

I hope you read this quote since i have two more questions if you don't mind:

1) Un dolor cansante. a ____ pain. cansante does not appear in Spanishdict.com
2) How would you breakdown the word "dolor" (pain).
do-lor right?
and if so, how would you pronounce it if it is written exactly like that: "dolor". no accent marks whatsoever. the emphasize should be on the "do" right? so how come they read it do-lor with an emphasize on the "lor"?

datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5380 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 

Message 4 of 10
08 August 2010 at 10:10pm | IP Logged 
Of course! I'm happy to help where I can :D

1.) un dolor cansante may be an error. I think it should say "un dolor constante" which means a constant pain. Cansante is from the verb "cansar" which means "to grow tired" "get bored" or "becoming tiring" It wasn't in any of my dictionaries... but if it exists I think it would mean "A tiring pain" as in you've had it so long the pain is just old.

2) The way they pronounce it is correct, if there isn't a written accent, Spanish usually places the accent on the second syllable (in this case, the "lor") after a short time you'll be able to read any word without any pronounciation problems, you'll just have a feel for the language.

best of luck! if you have any other questions feel free to ask!
2 persons have voted this message useful

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5248 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 5 of 10
08 August 2010 at 10:49pm | IP Logged 
datsunking1 wrote:
2) The way they pronounce it is correct, if there isn't a written accent, Spanish usually places
the accent on the second syllable (in this case, the "lor") after a short time you'll be able to read any word without
any pronounciation problems, you'll just have a feel for the language.

True enough. Here is the (almost) complete rule:
1) If the word ends in a consonant (except n or s), the stress falls on the last syllable: dolor
2) If the word ends in a vowel, n or s, the stress falls on the second last syllable: casa, dolores
3) If the word is not pronounced according to 1) or 2) above, a written accent is placed on the stressed syllable:
mamá, cóndor
2 persons have voted this message useful

talkl
Diglot
Groupie
Israel
Joined 5031 days ago

51 posts - 61 votes 

Message 6 of 10
09 August 2010 at 7:11pm | IP Logged 
Thank you all for your replies.
I checked with a native Spanish speaker about the word constante. It exits. The literal translation is: "tiresome". Spanish speakers use it to emphasize that something annoys them.
I noticed now that i was confused a little bit with the pronunciation rules. It makes great sense now.

Would anyone help me out with a few more FSI questions?

1) ____ no quiere recibirme. I can translate it literally to: ___ doesnt want to receive me. What is the true translation? (doesnt want to meet me?)
2) I was read the following sentence in Spanish by the narrator:
Lo siento mucho, pero el profesor no quiere defenderme.
isn't it a strange sentence?
i am very sorry, but the professor doesn't want to defend me.
Am i wrong about the translation?

3) translations. Am i correct?

But i didn't have time

Pero, no tuve tiempo

early tomorrow.

manana temprano (i am not using a Spanish keyboard so i know i didn't accent the previous sentence)

I am very sorry, but he can't permit that.

Lo siento mucho, pero no puede permitirlo.

____________________________________________________________ ______________________-

Again, thank you for your patience.

datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5380 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 

Message 7 of 10
09 August 2010 at 9:53pm | IP Logged 
talkl wrote:
Thank you all for your replies.
I checked with a native Spanish speaker about the word constante. It exits. The literal translation is: "tiresome". Spanish speakers use it to emphasize that something annoys them.
I noticed now that i was confused a little bit with the pronunciation rules. It makes great sense now.

Would anyone help me out with a few more FSI questions?

1) ____ no quiere recibirme. I can translate it literally to: ___ doesnt want to receive me. What is the true translation? (doesnt want to meet me?)
2) I was read the following sentence in Spanish by the narrator:
Lo siento mucho, pero el profesor no quiere defenderme.
isn't it a strange sentence?
i am very sorry, but the professor doesn't want to defend me.
Am i wrong about the translation?

3) translations. Am i correct?

But i didn't have time

Pero, no tuve tiempo

early tomorrow.

manana temprano (i am not using a Spanish keyboard so i know i didn't accent the previous sentence)

I am very sorry, but he can't permit that.

Lo siento mucho, pero no puede permitirlo.

____________________________________________________________ ______________________-

Again, thank you for your patience.

1) recibir in this case means "to meet/pickup" Say your mom was going to meet you at the trainstation, but she didn't want to. "No quiere recibirme."

2)It's correct, and FSI does have some odd sentences. I would say "defend" in this case means to stick up for or defend an argument.

3) they're correct, except for the manana one. I would say temprano manana :D

Polyglotted
Triglot
Joined 5024 days ago

35 posts - 40 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Russian, Swedish, Mandarin

Message 8 of 10
10 August 2010 at 12:36am | IP Logged 
Quote:

Whilst that could be the answer, 'lo' often means 'him' in sentences. It varies where you go in Spain, but it can be quite common and sounds more suitable and logical in this particular sentence. 'Loismo' is the usage of 'lo' as an indirect object pronoun in place of 'le' and 'leismo' vice-a-versa.

Edited by Polyglotted on 10 August 2010 at 12:36am

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version