brian91
Ireland
Joined 5225 days ago

335 posts - 437 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 1 of 12
06 August 2010 at 2:17pm | IP Logged 
Okay, I'm going to give you the method I use for learning languages (in this case German) and I'd like your
opinion on it. I still have summer holidays, so I have more time to focus on German before I start university this
fall.

One hour per day learning ten new words (I'm a slow learner)
One half-hour per day reading German (Der Spiegel, Focus, book etc)
One half-hour per day listening to German radio (B5 Aktuell)
One half-hour per day watching euronews auf Deutsch

So what do you think of my method? That's the order I usually do these activities too by the way. I know an hour
to learn ten words may seem like forever, but that's how long it takes the words to 'stick'. I write out the words
and make flashcards out of them too.

It seems quite basic, but it seems to work okay. I probably just need more practice writing in German too, right?
Maybe I should get a German penpal or write a blog in German.

Danke,
Brian
1 person has voted this message useful

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5079 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 2 of 12
06 August 2010 at 2:53pm | IP Logged 
brian91 wrote:

Being a slow learner is ok, of course, but in this case I find this extreme. I think you do something wrong. At First: Repetition is your friend, and inevitable. Forgetting is absolutely natural, everybody forgets things (singularities we can neglect for this purpose), and by repetition we tell our brain that we want something to stick. I consider myself a good learner, and I forget tons of things. (But when I repeat or "relearn" them, things are much faster than the first time I learned them. You can see this, when many people write, that their learning at school was for nothing, and that they learn things much faster and better now with method "xy". Well, actually they just had not really forgotten what they had learned.) Don't worry about it, I would say, don't aim for instantaneous perfection, it is quite unnatural, repetition does the trick.

Try to get this one hour down to 10 minutes of real, but not too hard concentration. Already in these 10 minutes you can do something like five to ten repetitions of all the words, try to speed up and do more repetitions instead of trying to force the words into your memory in a single step. I think this can really pay off, and I am sure that it is possible for you. Please try it for a week and then decide yourself, if you are really slow (what is perfectly fine) or do it the wrong way.

Addition:
Why not put the euronews before the pure radio, from easier to harder?
And if you really want to spend the hour for words, then split it up in quarters, at the beginning and as review after each of the other activities.

Edited by lingoleng on 06 August 2010 at 5:45pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5792 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 3 of 12
06 August 2010 at 3:34pm | IP Logged 
The words is the weakest point here.

Why are you learning these words? The reason it's taking you so long is that you can't really predict what words you're going to need.

So you're studying these words, and then you've still got to learn whatever words come up in the news.

Better to start with the online newspapers and extract new words from there. These will likely appear on the radio and TV news, and hopefully in follow-ups to the original story later in the week.

Your brain doesn't like learning words it has no use for, so don't force it. Learn the words you need.
2 persons have voted this message useful

michaelmichael
Canada
Joined 5038 days ago

167 posts - 202 votes 

Message 4 of 12
06 August 2010 at 7:45pm | IP Logged 
brian91 wrote:
Okay, I'm going to give you the method I use for learning languages (in this case German) and I'd like your
opinion on it. I still have summer holidays, so I have more time to focus on German before I start university this
fall.

One half-hour per day reading German (Der Spiegel, Focus, book etc)
One half-hour per day listening to German radio (B5 Aktuell)
One half-hour per day watching euronews auf Deutsch

So what do you think of my method? That's the order I usually do these activities too by the way. I know an hour
to learn ten words may seem like forever, but that's how long it takes the words to 'stick'. I write out the words
and make flashcards out of them too.

It seems quite basic, but it seems to work okay. I probably just need more practice writing in German too, right?
Maybe I should get a German penpal or write a blog in German.

Danke,
Brian

Are you putting the words into anki ?

brian91
Ireland
Joined 5225 days ago

335 posts - 437 votes 

Message 5 of 12
06 August 2010 at 8:22pm | IP Logged 
michaelmichael wrote:

No, I make regular paper ones, which are a lot more awkward I guess. I tried using Anki once, and due to my
terrible IT skills gave up on it. I should try it again though, now that I probably need it more than ever.

brian91
Ireland
Joined 5225 days ago

335 posts - 437 votes 

Message 6 of 12
06 August 2010 at 8:26pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
The words is the weakest point here.

Why are you learning these words? The reason it's taking you so long is that you can't really predict what words
you're going to need.

So you're studying these words, and then you've still got to learn whatever words come up in the news.

Better to start with the online newspapers and extract new words from there. These will likely appear on the
radio and TV news, and hopefully in follow-ups to the original story later in the week.

Your brain doesn't like learning words it has no use for, so don't force it. Learn the words you need.

Well, at the the moment I'm using the McGraw's German vocabulary book, which gives you thousands of words
in different categories (today I learned rarer words like ''der Kronleuchter'' etc).

Would it be better to pick out words from der Spiegel etc and make a list? Will it make a difference to my
learning ability? I'll definitely try it tomorrow.

michaelmichael
Canada
Joined 5038 days ago

167 posts - 202 votes 

Message 7 of 12
07 August 2010 at 12:31am | IP Logged 
brian91 wrote:
michaelmichael wrote:

No, I make regular paper ones, which are a lot more awkward I guess. I tried using Anki once, and due to my
terrible IT skills gave up on it. I should try it again though, now that I probably need it more than ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0dI2VyLDWw&feature=PlayList& p=4221D2E6B440D79B&playnext_from=PL&index=0&playnext=1

there are 7 videos. I only watched 4. It will take about 20 minutes to watch it. If you follow the videos, you should have no problem. The interface is very intuitive and well thought out, I am very tempted to even say idiot proof.

the one thing I didn't learn from the videos but rather from the forum, was
http://swac-collections.org/index.php . You just drag the mp3 sounds into the box, and voilĂ , you have audio with your flash card .
I also have http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ , which is a little less convenient, to record the sounds that the other site doesn't have.

I know for sure that anki will be a much better method than the one you are using. Space repetition is superior to cramming words for an hour and then never looking at them again.

If after the videos, you still don't like anki, I would recommend the gold list method. http://www.usenetposts.com/goldlist.htm .

Edited by michaelmichael on 07 August 2010 at 3:31am

jerrypettit
Groupie
United States
Joined 5807 days ago

79 posts - 103 votes 

Message 8 of 12
07 August 2010 at 8:41pm | IP Logged 
You REALLY need to use Anki (I use Supermemo). I think you would double your learning
rate and it's less tedious (to me).

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version