12 messages over 2 pages: 1
lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5079 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 9 of 12
07 August 2010 at 9:47pm | IP Logged 
jerrypettit wrote:
You REALLY need to use Anki (I use Supermemo). I think you would double your learning
rate and it's less tedious (to me).

Learning different words (more important ones, per se a good idea, of course) or changing the material from paper to screen (nothing to say against these space stuff things ...) does not solve the real problem. There will always be a point where you just want to memorize a word and don't know how to do it, because you have never trained it. Solving this problem makes you a better learner in the long run, while any try to escape the problem will only make you less aware that there is one.

I would not want to insist on this if I did not think it is of great importance. Better invest a lot of time now to find out how to fight this inefficiency. Jumping from software to software, from method to method, just to find out that in the end the real task is always the same does not help.

Edited by lingoleng on 07 August 2010 at 9:54pm

1 person has voted this message useful

jerrypettit
Groupie
United States
Joined 5807 days ago

79 posts - 103 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 10 of 12
07 August 2010 at 10:34pm | IP Logged 
>Jumping from software to software, from method to method, just to find out that in the
end the real task is always the same does not help.<

I'm not sure if I understood your post correctly.

"...nothing to say against these space stuff things..."

I indeed HAVE tried more than one method of language learning, and was agreeing with a
previous poster that a Spaced Repetition System (a "space stuff thing"?) helps me learn
at about double the rate of just rote memorization with paper flashcards. The original
poster had mentioned giving up on Anki, and I--and a previous poster--am encouraging
him to try it again.

Indeed, if motivation and success at one method are not forthcoming, "jumping" to
another method might indeed help. Discovering SRSs (Supermemo, in my case) has changed
my life.

Edited by jerrypettit on 07 August 2010 at 10:34pm

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5079 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 11 of 12
07 August 2010 at 10:56pm | IP Logged 
jerrypettit wrote:
...that a Spaced Repetition System (a "space stuff thing"?) helps me learn
at about double the rate of just rote memorization with paper flashcards.

Flashcards (in little boxes) have always been used as spaced repetition systems ... but the name was not so impressive in the old days.

jerrypettit
Groupie
United States
Joined 5807 days ago

79 posts - 103 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 12 of 12
07 August 2010 at 11:40pm | IP Logged 
Good point. Touche.   :-)

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version