Tags: Assimil
 Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
flydream777
Triglot
United States
Joined 6290 days ago

77 posts - 102 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Russian, Portuguese, Mandarin, Greek, Hungarian, Armenian, Irish, Italian

Message 1 of 6
07 August 2010 at 3:41am | IP Logged 
I am on lesson 72 of Le Hongrois Sans Peine, and have been over my head for at least two weeks. They give you sooo much material that I have been unable keep up (I counted the words in the end of the book glossary... about 2,700 in 85 lessons!!).

That being said, I am planning on spending 2-3 days on each lesson instead of the normal one lesson per day. That way, I hope to be able to fully familiarize myself with all new vocabulary and to better internalize the dialogs. One downfall that I foresee is that I might get stuck and not be motivated to keep moving on.

Anyone have any input?
2 persons have voted this message useful

budonoseito
Pro Member
United States
budobeyondtechnRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5604 days ago

261 posts - 344 votes 
Studies: French, Japanese
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 6
07 August 2010 at 4:31am | IP Logged 
I agree some lessons are packed with new vocabulary.

I review the last 5-7 lessons before I start a new one. You get multiple reinforcement
while still making progress.
3 persons have voted this message useful

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6178 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 6
07 August 2010 at 6:46am | IP Logged 
I definitely don't get through a new lesson each day. I have to continually repeat previous lessons to cement the vocubalury in my head.

Edited by newyorkeric on 07 August 2010 at 7:36am

4 persons have voted this message useful

fanatic
Octoglot
Australia
speedmathematics.com
Joined 6945 days ago

1152 posts - 1818 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French, Afrikaans, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch
Studies: Swedish, Norwegian, Polish, Modern Hebrew, Malay, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 4 of 6
07 August 2010 at 7:23am | IP Logged 
I have found that, firstly, I need to revise the previous five lessons each day.

Secondly, I don't worry too much about what I haven't understood or really mastered. I used to have problems with that because of my previous school experience. Just keep going.

Thirdly, I did reach points in some courses where I felt overwhelmed by new vocabulary and grammar so I took two days to complete a lesson. No big deal. I still did my revision of the previous lessons (sometimes a couple of months' lessons) and kept at the new lessons.

I made use of Assimil's suggestion to mark a passage, point of grammar or expression that I didn't understand and then mark the page number in the margin of a lesson a week ahead. When I reach that lesson and see my note I have either understood the point in the meantime or I go back and look at it again and try to make some sense of it. If I still can't understand it I mark it another week ahead and try to find out from elsewhere - a friend who speaks the language, a teacher, the embassy or consulate, or now we have the Internet to ask questions.

I have done this with Russian by means of Internet searches or online teaching programs that explain grammar.

Fourthly, I suspect that children who speak the language don't understand the grammar as well and yet they manage. I tell myself that I will eventually understand it but, in the meantime, I will continue with what I can and let understanding dawn later.

It is a self-teaching course so you are eventually in control of how you learn. You make the decisions about how you learn. You are not under obligation to a teacher or a publisher. Consider their advice gut don't be bound by it.

Lastly, don't take it all too seriously. Enjoy learning the language. It is all a game. Have fun. Enjoy yourself.

11 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5810 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 5 of 6
07 August 2010 at 11:44am | IP Logged 
Are you sure your difficulty stems from the new course type and not from the language...? Personally, I've only looked at two Assimil courses.

The Catalan course is working really well for me. I got it three weeks ago and have been working through it really quickly -- I'm into the 70s now and I'm able to hold basic conversations. But the Assimil Catalan course is only sold to Spanish and French speakers, people who won't find the course difficult.

The other course I have is Basque. I've hardly picked it up cos it's a lot harder to do.   The course moves on just as quickly as the Catalan course, but the grammar and vocabulary are harder to remember because you're starting from absolute zero -- Basque is completely different from Spanish and French (and English).

I'm quite sure that's the source of your problem with Hungarian -- less the "revised method", more the fact that the method isn't well thought out....
1 person has voted this message useful

flydream777
Triglot
United States
Joined 6290 days ago

77 posts - 102 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Russian, Portuguese, Mandarin, Greek, Hungarian, Armenian, Irish, Italian

Message 6 of 6
07 August 2010 at 4:18pm | IP Logged 
Oh the difficulty is definitely with the language. I've been through 3 or 4 assimil courses, so I know what to expect as far as the course is concerned. It's the Hungarian that's throwing me off! I just have a phobia of starting language courses and never finishing them off, which has happened many times in the past. But I will incorporate some review and take extra days I guess--

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version