Groupie
United States
Joined 5057 days ago

46 posts - 63 votes 
Studies: Tagalog, English*
Studies: Japanese, Latin

Message 1 of 9
07 August 2010 at 9:18am | IP Logged 
Well, I'm entering high school in a few weeks and am blessed enough to participate in the school's one to one personal computer program. To make a long story short, I have access to Microsoft OneNote through a personal laptop that I'll have with me all day. (There are penalties if we don't have our computers with us, actually.)

So, I'm considering making my notes digital. My notes consist of semi-Gold List attempts, grammar sentences and rules and Kanji charts (with readings, stroke order and the works.)

Does anyone have experience with digital notes? What are their advantages and disadvantages? (Oh, and this is self studied and not school required Japanese. I am taking Latin I, though.)
1 person has voted this message useful

michaelmichael
Canada
Joined 5044 days ago

167 posts - 202 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 2 of 9
07 August 2010 at 7:40pm | IP Logged 
Dragonsheep wrote:
Well, I'm entering high school in a few weeks and am blessed enough to participate in the school's one to one personal computer program. To make a long story short, I have access to Microsoft OneNote through a personal laptop that I'll have with me all day. (There are penalties if we don't have our computers with us, actually.)

So, I'm considering making my notes digital. My notes consist of semi-Gold List attempts, grammar sentences and rules and Kanji charts (with readings, stroke order and the works.)

Does anyone have experience with digital notes? What are their advantages and disadvantages? (Oh, and this is self studied and not school required Japanese. I am taking Latin I, though.)

Yes i have experience with digital notes.
Advantage:
#1, Clarity, it is much easier to read
#2, It is faster to type than to write for most people.
#3, You won't lose it
#4, Notes force you to go slower and pay more attention to detail

Disadvantage:
#1, Writing by hand is superior for remembering orthography and words, Nevertheless; my spelling does improve by typing, just not as effective
#2, Because taking notes forces you to go slower and pay attention to detail, you cover less material.

Edited by michaelmichael on 07 August 2010 at 7:41pm

Dragonsheep
Groupie
United States
Joined 5057 days ago

46 posts - 63 votes 

Message 3 of 9
07 August 2010 at 8:36pm | IP Logged 
Oh, if I didn't mention it before, it is a touch screen tablet so I can digitally input characters and handwrite (and there is a writing to text feature.) That's how I plan to input kanji and kana (since IME options are locked.)

johntm93
United States
Joined 5114 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 4 of 9
08 August 2010 at 7:18am | IP Logged 
I have never actually taken notes on a computer in class, but here's my two cents, for
what it's worth.

I can type way faster than I write, and I can read it much easier (I'm 17 and I write
like an elementary school student, no joke, my handwriting is terrible when jotting
things down quickly).
Handwriting it will make you remember it much better, and especially with learning the
Japanese writing system.
And, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't do any work in school if I had my computer with me, I'd
probably surf this site during class :\

Edit: Since you can use the tablet and write it, go for it.

Edited by johntm93 on 08 August 2010 at 7:19am

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6490 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 9
08 August 2010 at 9:49am | IP Logged 
I haven't studied Japanese so there may be some aspects that I cannot comment on. But in general I remember things much better if I write them in handwriting. Unfortunately this makes it difficult to import my notes to a computer (especially without a handwriting decoder). However in principle it should be possible to slice a wordlist into tiny strips each containing one word and then import them as graphics into something like an RSR program - after all the program doesn't have to know what you are seeing, only whether you claim to recognize it.

If you make an example collection during your syntactical and stylistic studies the purely digital method must be the one to use, and with a scanner and an OCR program you should even be able to import examples from printed sources.

Edited by Iversen on 09 August 2010 at 11:22am

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5553 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 6 of 9
08 August 2010 at 3:44pm | IP Logged 
Dragonsheep, can you enter kanji and kana via the graphic tablet without switching the IME? Because I have to switch to Japanese/Chinese/Korean IME to activate the handwriting recognition in each language.

Otherwise - the goal is the have the knowledge in one's brain, isn't it? Not on paper or on a screen. So ... it depends on what you're trying to learn.
Exercises are probably more effective handwritten.
Example sentences should be digital and in a format that allows you to search the document easily.
Notes on grammar points etc .... if I weren't so lazy I'd first hand-write the notes as concise as I manage while still being accurate, then a couple of days later review them, and digitalize everything I've forgotten or didn't understand, so that I would end up with only very concise digital notes.

Edited by Bao on 09 August 2010 at 3:58am

wv girl
Diglot
United States
Joined 5026 days ago

174 posts - 330 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 7 of 9
08 August 2010 at 3:44pm | IP Logged 
I went to high school/college in the 80s, when computers weren't mainstream. I wrote my notes because that was
the only option. However, the process of actually writing vocabulary helped me remember it. When I returned to
university recently to study Spanish, I had a terrible time in 1 class, not because the grammar was so difficult, but
because everything had to be done on the computer! My preferred learning style was of no use in that class, unless
I wanted to do everything twice ... write out assignments, then try to type them for credit.

I think the slower pace of handwriting notes helps retention. But I could be just an old dog who couldn't learn this
new trick!

Dragonsheep
Groupie
United States
Joined 5057 days ago

46 posts - 63 votes 

Message 8 of 9
08 August 2010 at 8:58pm | IP Logged 
Oh, I meant the writing to text for the English parts of the notes.

Does the Windows 7 default Japanese IME have writing to text? If it does, I could make a special request with administration to enable it, unless there's a better program for it (or it's better to make something myself in the way described aove. (My school does teach Chinese, so the idea shouldn't be too new to them, although I'm not sure what input system they're using.)

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version