zekecoma
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5143 days ago

561 posts - 655 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 1 of 17
08 August 2010 at 3:14am | IP Logged 
I just now bought the Assimil German with Ease book off amazon based on the many reviews
on this forum. Sadly didn't have enough to buy the audio but my pronunciation isn't all
too bad any more but still takes sometime. Any ways, I was wondering how would I go about
using it with my other book LL Ultimate German Beginner. How is the more in depth does
Assimil do it to help you learn the better than other books. What I mean by that is how
does one work through the book. Sorry if what I'm saying is confusing because I'm not
good with words in explaining.
1 person has voted this message useful

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6178 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 17
08 August 2010 at 5:20am | IP Logged 
How much did you pay for your German with Ease? Amazon sells it with audio for only $33 here. You should able to exchange the one you bought for the version with audio for a just a few dollars more.

zekecoma
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5143 days ago

561 posts - 655 votes 
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 3 of 17
08 August 2010 at 5:31am | IP Logged 
newyorkeric wrote:
How much did you pay for your German with Ease? Amazon sells it with
audio for only $33  English/dp/270051050X/ref=tmm_abk_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=128123 7319&sr=8-1">here. You
should able to exchange the one you bought for the version with audio for a just a few
dollars more.

I bought the book for like $20 and I bought Ultimate German advanced for like $10 used
(didn't have enough for the audio). But I will when I get some more money. I don't know
why the CD's are so expensive :|

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6178 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 17
08 August 2010 at 5:42am | IP Logged 
Oh, I see. Amazon has a weird pricing scheme for Assimil right now. You can buy German With Ease without audio for $28 and German with Ease WITH audio for only $33.

Edited by newyorkeric on 08 August 2010 at 12:12pm

re4lover
Groupie
Egypt
Joined 5236 days ago

63 posts - 66 votes 
Speaks: Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: English, Russian, Modern Hebrew, Aramaic

Message 5 of 17
08 August 2010 at 12:04pm | IP Logged 
I found the instructions for using Assimil without recordings:(from another Assimil)

1) Read the first German sentence and compare it word for word with the phonetic transcription

2)Examine the English translation . then read the German sentence again

3) Read the German sentence aloud several times . then try to repeat it without consulting the book

4) Follow the same procedure for each sentence

5) When finished read the entire German text again , and carefully examine the comments

6) Read the German text once more . You should now be able to understand it without consulting the translation

7) Read the exercises . Repeat each sentences several times . the exercises review material from the current lesson and from the preceding lessons , If you have forgotten certain words , consult the English translation .

8) Examine the examples of sentences structure . they show how words and phrases are combined in German , which is not always the same as in English .

I changed me mind about Assimil since Fanatic post that the older is better than the new Version , and I am using now Russian without Toil which it's Perfect

Edited by re4lover on 08 August 2010 at 12:07pm

hobbitofny
United States
Joined 6032 days ago

280 posts - 408 votes 
Studies: Russian

Message 6 of 17
08 August 2010 at 3:14pm | IP Logged 
newyorkeric wrote:
Oh, I see. Amazon has a weird pricing scheme for Assimil right now. You can buy German With Ease without audio for $28 and German with Ease WITH audio for only $33.

Can you send the link for the $33 price? I do not find it on Amazon. The price I find is much higher.

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6178 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 17
08 August 2010 at 3:17pm | IP Logged 
It's in my first post above after the $33.

hobbitofny
United States
Joined 6032 days ago

280 posts - 408 votes 
Studies: Russian

Message 8 of 17
08 August 2010 at 3:28pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, I tried the link in the quote and it was broken. I did not think to try the first link. (I was not fully awake. I did not have my morning coffee.)

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version