CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5101 days ago

215 posts - 252 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 1 of 3
08 August 2010 at 10:05pm | IP Logged 
Hello,

I'm at lesson 52 of 70 of Assimil: le nouveau Russe sans peine and I have a couple of questions about the second wave effectivness and how to do it.

The mains reason I will be asking those questions is that I seem to make a awful lot of mistakes trying to do the second wave even in the beginning lessons. On ten sentences, I probably get at most 2 right. Is it normal ? So I am questionnung my learning strategie. In others words, could I have done it a better way ?

1- I don't put in question the usefullness of the second wave but it's normal that the French translation, a lot of the time, don't match the exact word for Russian ? For example, in a lesson, they use the word 'magnifique' (superb) in Russian but they translate it to 'très bien' (really good) when talking about how they are doing (lesson 15). That sort of translation give me difficulties since we have learn the word 'très' already as well as the word 'bien' you will use those word instead of 'magnifique'.

2- Along with my first question, which seem more like a statement than a question, do you redo (review) the previous lesson in your active phase. By that I mean do you do the active wave exercise more than once on different day ? If yes, how many lessons do you repeat per days ?

3- It is possible that I didn't do enough review of the previous lessons in my passive wave and my difficulties in the active wave is a repercution of that ?

4- On an another matter, I find my listening skill a little below what I am suppose to be at. I said that since I remarqued that I have still dificulties catching some of the meaning of the lesson even after a couple of listening. Should I just listen more to the content ? For what I know, my reading seem to be pretty good. Even without the tape, I understand a good part of the dialogue without even reading the french translation. I also reconize why certain words have a particular case.

Well, I think it covert my questions for now. As always, I appreciate your response, they are helping me getting pass my difficulties. Thank you.
1 person has voted this message useful

Spiderkat
Diglot
United States
Joined 5611 days ago

175 posts - 248 votes 
Studies: Russian

Message 2 of 3
09 August 2010 at 4:11am | IP Logged 
1- I guess you're referring to this one "Настроение прекрасное. У меня было свидание - Ça vas très bien [Humeur très bonne]. J'ai eu un rendez-vous."

As you can see they wrote the word for word translation as well. Here you're dealing with some idiom and it just makes more sense to see what would be said in French in a normal conversation instead of having some French translation "façon petit-nègre".
There's an explanation about this expression at the end of the lesson.

2-3-4- I think it's up to you and only you can decide how you want to study using this method. If you feel like you need to spend more time listening to the dialogues, then do it.If you think you're ready for the next lesson or you need to work on the exercises a bit more, then do what's better for you.

Since we're not equals when it comes to learning or mastering a language, you pretty much have to find what works for you. I believe that there's a thread regarding the way people use this method and maybe you'll find some useful advice.

grunts67
Diglot
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5101 days ago

215 posts - 252 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 3 of 3
09 August 2010 at 5:48am | IP Logged 
Spiderkat wrote:
1- I guess you're referring to this one "Настроение прекрасное. У меня было свидание - Ça vas très bien [Humeur très bonne]. J'ai eu un rendez-vous."

As you can see they wrote the word for word translation as well. Here you're dealing with some idiom and it just makes more sense to see what would be said in French in a normal conversation instead of having some French translation "façon petit-nègre".
There's an explanation about this expression at the end of the lesson.

That one of the exemples. You are right that is an idom and I misread the explanation. Thanks for response.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version