ALS
United States
Joined 5592 days ago

104 posts - 131 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Norwegian, Finnish, Russian

Message 1 of 11
10 August 2010 at 7:04pm | IP Logged 
I really enjoyed using some list methods for learning vocabulary, such as the Iversen method and simply putting lists of 5 or so words into an SRS instead of one at a time. However, one problem I kept running in to was that I'd memorize words by their position in the list, not from the meaning or anything. IE, "Oh, this word means computer, I already know the next word means window," or "oh, the first word of this list means foot."

Does this happen to anyone else using lists, either in an SRS or the Iversen method, for vocabulary? Maybe some combination of lists with full sentences would help?
1 person has voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5799 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 2 of 11
10 August 2010 at 9:27pm | IP Logged 
ALS,

As you have noticed, if you learn things in lists, you remember the list, not the individual contents.

As you're already using SRS, surely the solution is to... not use lists? One card, one item, problem solved.

You enjoy learning that way, and may people here encourage others to do what they enjoy. In this case, that would be bad advice. Why? Because your brain enjoyed learning lists as lists. One way or the other, you are fundamentally changing the task. If you succeed in making a list that your brain doesn't learn as a list (an impossible task IMO) then you will no longer be going through the process you enjoy.

I don't know if you're looking for excuses or loopholes -- there are no loopholes, so you'll only find excuses.

So why not just make life simple and ditch the lists in favour of individual flashcards?

Akalabeth
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5307 days ago

83 posts - 112 votes 
Studies: German, Japanese

Message 3 of 11
11 August 2010 at 3:34am | IP Logged 
I'd second what Cainntear said. My experience is your brain will always find the
path of least resistance, and if you don't make that path of least resistance memorizing
the words then you won't memorize the words. I originally started trying to learn vocab
from sentences, but a lot of the time a single word, or even just seeing the length of
the sentence, was enough to recall the entire sentence.

CaucusWolf
United States
Joined 5060 days ago

191 posts - 234 votes 
Studies: Arabic (Written), Japanese

Message 4 of 11
11 August 2010 at 5:45am | IP Logged 
      I personally learn by reviewing lists for memorization and then also reading the words in sentences and have never ran across this problem. I think the problem you may be having is boredom. Anyone who is tirelessly reviewing lists without enthusiasm would surely run into this problem. I should also note that people think and learn differently and what works for you doesn't necessarily work for everyone. Good luck in your endeavours in language learning.

Edited by CaucusWolf on 11 August 2010 at 6:31pm

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5554 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 5 of 11
11 August 2010 at 8:40am | IP Logged 
One solution might be to answer the cards like this: One from the top down, one from the bottom up, one starting at the middle running up and then bottom up, one from the middle down and then top down. Rinse and repeat. With an SRS it should be not too likely to review the same card in the same order again and again.
I've been thinking about doing SRS with lists myself and I'd repeat each word on two or three cards. But it seems too much of a bother.

Edited by Bao on 11 August 2010 at 8:40am

ALS
United States
Joined 5592 days ago

104 posts - 131 votes 

Message 6 of 11
11 August 2010 at 9:06am | IP Logged 
I agree it'd be bad advice to learn with lists, even if I enjoyed them, because of the shortcuts automatically taken by the brain. I stopped using them right as I noticed this happening. I was hoping though that someone had developed some kind of workaround. I also noticed this problem with simply using sentences, which I find to be a massive flaw in the AJATT method.

@Cainntear: Really, I don't enjoy using an SRS. I use it because it's the best way I've found for vocab, but I find it incredibly tedious. I learn well from it despite the boredom, but I'm always looking for another way of learning vocabulary. I enjoy the Iversen method but unfortunately I have some conditions that make writing by hand much very difficult.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5799 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 7 of 11
11 August 2010 at 10:13am | IP Logged 
OK, so can I ask you what your goal is in learning vocabulary? How do you select the words to learn?

ALS
United States
Joined 5592 days ago

104 posts - 131 votes 

Message 8 of 11
11 August 2010 at 10:26am | IP Logged 
I pick words from reading material (games, another forum I frequent with some sections in
other languages, some news websites), or do the hold-a-conversation-with-yourself-and-
find-the-words-you'd-need thing to find words I'd probably use frequently about myself or
my hobbies.

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version