Diglot
United States
Joined 6730 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 9 of 11
11 August 2010 at 2:08pm | IP Logged 
At one point I made about 500 flashcards with Spanish words according to Barry Farber's recipe, where you divide both sides of a flashcard into 5 sections, write down five L2 words, flip the card along the short end and write the translations. I have also used notebooks - divide a page vertically, write the word on the left and the translation on the right.

It is true that some words get 'remembered' by their position, but both methods were effective enough, and if one reviews the words after a long enough break, at that point the associations will be broken anyway. I am not sure this positional memory is worth worrying about - flashcards or not, you will only finally learn the word after you have met it enough times in real sources.

1 person has voted this message useful

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6059 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 10 of 11
11 August 2010 at 5:43pm | IP Logged 
I don't think it is a case of one or the other. I have used word lists and flashcards, and both work and neither method is some kind of miracle solution or magic bullet.

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5553 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 11 of 11
11 August 2010 at 5:57pm | IP Logged 
With sentences it's not really a problem. You just need to add two, three more sentences with the same word (and hopefully some other words you also want to learn in them), and enjoy that you learn sentence patterns and collocations right together with your vocabulary items.

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version