Groupie
United States
Joined 6668 days ago

92 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Mandarin, French

Message 1 of 3
10 August 2010 at 7:22pm | IP Logged 
Has anyone tried The Connectors in Modern Standard Arabic? I'm thinking of ordering it, but I can't find very much about it online.

I'm in the third Al-Kitaab, and it's really to the point that I'm learning very little from it.
1 person has voted this message useful

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5119 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 2 of 3
10 August 2010 at 10:10pm | IP Logged 
I have the book and I like in spite of several shortcomings. If you want to see what's covered, check out the Arabic TOC at Google books. (There's no English TOC and the book must be read from back to front.)
The Google books preview also contains some sample pages of the lessons.

BTW, "connector" refers to any word or word combination used to connect a sentence or parts of a sentence including, but not limited to, conjunctions, pronouns, nouns, adverbs, special verbs etc.

The books contains 27 lessons. Except for the 5 review lessons, each lesson follows the same pattern:
1. An intro page with the connectors covered in the lesson and their most common English translations
2. A short authentic Arabic text that contains most of the connectors followed by an English translation.
3. Several transformation exercises (Arabic => Arabic) and translation exercises (English => Arabic)

What I liked about the book:
- Comprehensive coverage of pretty much every word or construction that is used to connect sentences and parts of a sentence
- Good example sentences that clearly illustrate the use(s) of a connector

What I didn't like about the book:
- No English or Arabic index and no glossary
- Limited use of Arabic grammar terminology (for example, they don't refer to fa = therefore as fa' as-sababiya)
- No key to the English => Arabic translation exercises

This book is mostly useful for intermediate students who have problems understanding complex Arabic sentences or want to review conjunctions and similar constructions.
Most advanced students will probably find that they're already familiar with most of the constructions that this book deals with.

Edited by Doitsujin on 10 August 2010 at 10:11pm

Spasty
Groupie
United States
Joined 6668 days ago

92 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Mandarin, French

Message 3 of 3
10 August 2010 at 11:32pm | IP Logged 
Thanks a lot for your response. Looking at it now, I don't think it's for me. While I wouldn't necessarily say I'm comfortable using every conjunction in the book that I saw, I am familiar most of their meanings. It would probably be more worthwhile for me to hunt it down at some university library for a couple weeks. Thank you!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version