Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5582 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 9 of 14
11 August 2010 at 10:33pm | IP Logged 
@ Cainntear I am pretty sure you COULD come up with something acceptable to all, but your point about the arguing was a good one! I don't know, certainly neutral Spanish would be the most valuable, but I take your point about people walking away. If we DO get any native speakers offering to help then maybe we could let THEM decide? The other advantage of your regional suggestion is that it would only need one native at a time (Argentinian, Columbian, Spanish, whatever), so if (say) an Argentinian came along and offered to do it in a Southern Cone version we'd be foolish to turn him away. That said, just because of the sheer value the thing would have I hope we can get a collaborative project for a neutral version!

Edited by Random review on 11 August 2010 at 10:56pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5582 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 

Message 10 of 14
11 August 2010 at 10:43pm | IP Logged 
@ Andy E. If you Copied that from where I THINK you did then check L15 Q A3 and you will notice a typo in the original that isn't in my version because I didn't cut and paste (I only noticed it now because I was looking for one to try and prove I'm not a liar). If the project gets off the ground we can't use the Language Warehouse texts in that way anyway because the guy claimed he made some improvements in their presentation, so they are not public domain, even though the course CONTENTS are. He could argue that we used his work in putting them into an electronic format. I REALLY didn't want to get into this because I know people are going to read it and think that the project's a non-starter and so not offer their services, but we would have to get a copy of the text from elsewhere (I thought maybe we could ask Fat Tony, he seems to have access to these things) and someone (I would be willing) would have to type it out in a different presentation format. If you are reading this and were thinking of offering your services PLEASE don't let it stop you! You would not be asked to do anything until we DID get hold of a copy.

Edited by Random review on 11 August 2010 at 10:56pm

johntm93
United States
Joined 5126 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 11 of 14
11 August 2010 at 10:49pm | IP Logged 
Random review wrote:
@ Andy E. If you Copied that from where I THINK you did then check L15 Q A3 and you will notice a typo in the original that isn't in my version because I didn't cut and paste (I only noticed it now because I was looking for one to try and prove I'm not a liar).
I don't think he's calling you a liar...

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6902 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 12 of 14
11 August 2010 at 11:18pm | IP Logged 
Random review wrote:
@ Andy E. If you Copied that from where I THINK you did then check L15 Q A3 and you will notice a typo in the original that isn't in my version because I didn't cut and paste (I only noticed it now because I was looking for one to try and prove I'm not a liar). If the project gets off the ground we can't use the Language Warehouse texts in that way anyway because the guy claimed he made some improvements in their presentation, so they are not public domain, even though the course CONTENTS are.

Nail on the head and no I wasn't calling you a liar :-) I was simply pointing out that the text is readily available online - no need to painstakingly type it up. I know what the guy claims - it was on his website at the time. Personally, I think he's talking b*llocks and I could take that same text, make "some substantial improvements" by changing the font, layout and little else and say exactly the same thing. The pages are plain text creations, nothing more, nothing less. If you can point out to me where he's added some value, then fair enough, I'll stand corrected.

Here's lesson 30, for example.

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5582 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 

Message 13 of 14
12 August 2010 at 6:37am | IP Logged 
Andy E wrote:
Random review wrote:
@ Andy E. If you Copied that from where I THINK you did then check L15 Q A3 and you will notice a typo in the original that isn't in my version because I didn't cut and paste (I only noticed it now because I was looking for one to try and prove I'm not a liar). If the project gets off the ground we can't use the Language Warehouse texts in that way anyway because the guy claimed he made some improvements in their presentation, so they are not public domain, even though the course CONTENTS are.

Nail on the head and no I wasn't calling you a liar :-) I was simply pointing out that the text is readily available online - no need to painstakingly type it up. I know what the guy claims - it was on his website at the time. Personally, I think he's talking b*llocks and I could take that same text, make "some substantial improvements" by changing the font, layout and little else and say exactly the same thing. The pages are plain text creations, nothing more, nothing less. If you can point out to me where he's added some value, then fair enough, I'll stand corrected.

Here's lesson 30, for example.

You know I just woke up and realised that you were the same nice guy that helped me on another thread. Sorry I overreacted (it seems to be my week for that!), I don't like liars, but I appreciate you weren't accusing me of anything.

Let's be frank here. I don't think there's any problem with using his texts, I'm actually with you on that. But I know from experience with the FSI website that this site will not risk putting up anything if there is even a SLIGHT risk. For instance, even though there is a guy on ebay selling the DLI Spanish Course from the late 90s (NOT in the public domain and nowhere near as good) for years and nothing has happened to him, the FSI website would not put up the DLI "Headstart" courses (which are!) until someone laboriously removed every single picture (taken from authentic sources and therefore possibly not public domain), and replaced them with pictures from Wikicommons! I think though it would maybe be OK as long as we changed the layout from his (not so great anyway, as you say!). We could make the layout like other DLI Courses, or like an FSI course or something.

Edited by Random review on 12 August 2010 at 6:40am

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6902 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 14 of 14
12 August 2010 at 7:59am | IP Logged 
Random review wrote:
the FSI website would not put up the DLI "Headstart" courses (which are!) until someone laboriously removed every single picture (taken from authentic sources and therefore possibly not public domain), and replaced them with pictures from Wikicommons!

Yes. I remember that.

Quote:
I think though it would maybe be OK as long as we changed the layout from his (not so great anyway, as you say!). We could make the layout like other DLI Courses, or like an FSI course or something.

We're on the same wavelength here. The idea would be to create a PDF (already a different presentation) that looked like some of the others, remove the typos (substantial improvement) etc. etc.

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version