instasaint
Diglot
Canada
Joined 5018 days ago

8 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: Hindi*, English

Message 1 of 15
12 August 2010 at 5:10am | IP Logged 
Having spent lot of time reading these forums, I've concluded that FSI, Assamil, Pimsleur, Michel Thomas are best language programs there are.

I am not sure if I've discipline to follow learn-on-your-own method. For me, best would be if there was a program where a teacher used one of these methods to teach the language.

Do you know of any such programs/schools where they use MT/Assamil/FSI/Pimsleur methods?

I noticed on MT's website that they offer private and group classes but, oh my god, they are so expensive. This guy (MT) charges $30,000 for roughly 5 full days of classes! If you take classes from one of his certified instructors, the fee drops to roughly $8000 for 10 full days of classes but that's still beyond my reach!

1 person has voted this message useful

hobbitofny
United States
Joined 6032 days ago

280 posts - 408 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian

Message 2 of 15
12 August 2010 at 7:22am | IP Logged 
You can not have MT do the teaching. He died a few years ago. They have not change the web site.

instasaint
Diglot
Canada
Joined 5018 days ago

8 posts - 8 votes

Message 3 of 15
12 August 2010 at 7:31am | IP Logged 
hobbitofny wrote:
You can not have MT do the teaching. He died a few years ago. They have not change the web site.

Thanks for letting me know. So, is that company also pretty much defunct? Or do they still teach languages?

Anyway, the question stands: does anyone know of any class based programs (either one on one or group) modeled after Pimsleur/FSI/DLI/MT?

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6902 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 4 of 15
12 August 2010 at 8:57am | IP Logged 
There used to be one or two language schools that used Platiquemos (FSI Spanish) as the basis of the course materials. Whether they're still going or not, I'm afraid I don't know.

fanatic
Octoglot
Australia
speedmathematics.com
Joined 6945 days ago

1152 posts - 1818 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French, Afrikaans, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch
Studies: Swedish, Norwegian, Polish, Modern Hebrew, Malay, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 5 of 15
12 August 2010 at 11:05am | IP Logged 
I was first introduced to Assimil at an evening class I took to learn French. The textbook was French Without Toil. I loved the book and eventually bought the records to go with it from the school. I picked up the German Without Toil records cheap at a second hand music store and went back to the language school for the German book.

I don't know that I would say the programs are the best. Some languages have excellent material.

What you can do is take private tuition and ask the instructor to teach you from the book you provide. I did that successfully with Russian For Everybody. I took the reader with me and asked if we could spend some time on the material I was studying at home each week. It worked well. That option is certainly cheaper than the MT courses you mention.

Edited by fanatic on 12 August 2010 at 11:05am

3 persons have voted this message useful

johntm93
United States
Joined 5126 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 6 of 15
12 August 2010 at 8:58pm | IP Logged 
Michel's company isn't defunct, they still come out with courses that have people other than MT teach. I assume they'd still do classes, just with MT's proteges instead of MT (as he can't teach, he passed away).

Don Casteel (Platiquemos inventor) also died a few years ago, which is sad because he seemed like a really cool guy. I'm not sure if his company is defunct or not, but I know some members here have had trouble ordering from the site since his passing.

instasaint
Diglot
Canada
Joined 5018 days ago

8 posts - 8 votes

Message 7 of 15
12 August 2010 at 9:51pm | IP Logged 
fanatic wrote:

What you can do is take private tuition and ask the instructor to teach you from the book you provide. I did that successfully with Russian For Everybody. I took the reader with me and asked if we could spend some time on the material I was studying at home each week. It worked well. That option is certainly cheaper than the MT courses you mention.

This makes sense. But it'd be really cool to find some tutor/teacher that already use FSI/DLI methodology to teach. This way, the person would have experience and would know exactly how to teach in that manner. If I don't find teacher or school that already use FSI, I would do what you suggested -- I would take private lessons and ask my instructor to follow FSI/DLI/MT method.

aru-aru
Triglot
Latvia
Joined 6256 days ago

244 posts - 331 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, Russian

Message 8 of 15
13 August 2010 at 12:44am | IP Logged 
The methods you mentioned all have their advantages, that is sure. But do not ignore the fact that a language can have some textbook not published by any of these 4 companies that might be superior to the books published by those 4.

Say, for Chinese I would not recommend Assimil book as the main text. The way MT records explain tones is... well... let's just say I don't like it. Other good stuff out there, though.

Be open to this, is my point. Don't say no to other textbooks before really checking them out.

Rather than searching for a school that uses particular method, try out the language schools nearby, check what texts they use, ask around which teachers are liked by fellow learners. If you go for a teacher, in my experience, a good teacher can do wonders with most textbooks, while a bad one will not do a good textbook justice.

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version