United States
Joined 6729 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 25 of 59
13 August 2010 at 6:00am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
... the fundamental question is whether the concept of fluency, as proposed here, brings clarity and precision to the debate?

I'd like to make sure I understand fully what the proposed concept is. I think I have right that it doesn't refer to reading or writing, or even to listening comprehension, only to speaking. I am less clear about which particular aspects of speaking are and which aren't covered by it and would appreciate a clarification.

Edited by frenkeld on 13 August 2010 at 6:00am

1 person has voted this message useful

johntm93
United States
Joined 5113 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 26 of 59
13 August 2010 at 6:04am | IP Logged 
frenkeld wrote:
s_allard wrote:
... the fundamental question is whether the concept of fluency, as proposed here, brings clarity and precision to the debate?

I'd like to make sure I understand fully what the proposed concept is. I think I have right that it doesn't refer to reading or writing, or even to listening comprehension, only to speaking. I am less clear about which particular aspects of speaking are and which aren't covered by it and would appreciate a clarification.

I think he means if you can speak a language flowingly, which, IMO, you'd need to be proficient at a language to do.

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6889 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 27 of 59
13 August 2010 at 9:51am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
To come back to the original subject here, the fundamental question is whether the concept of fluency, as proposed here, brings clarity and precision to the debate? If it doesn't, or if most people vote that it's just another way of saying proficiency, well, we'll just go along our merry way. It's only a proposal.

I dislike the term fluency as it's bandied about (not just here) which is why I rarely bother to enter these debates and even agreeing a definition will not stop a multitude of threads being started with the word in the title. The trouble is, I'm not sure that someone announcing that "I'm proficient in <insert language of choice>" helps either - it gives me no greater insight into their abilities than announcing that they're fluent in <insert language of choice>. The only assumption I am prepared to make is that with a starting point of no knowledge at all, they're somewhere to the right of that.

The thing is, there's a perfectly acceptable measurement of proficiency (there I've said it) in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages and the Wikipedia article here gives some helpful comparisons to relate those to other standards (North American, for example).

The reason I like the CEF is that the documentation also provides self-assessment criteria for defined competencies - those being Listening, Reading, Spoken Interaction, Spoken Production, Writing. So instead of announcing that I'm fluent or proficient in French I can actually say that IMHO I currently rate myself:

Listening: B2
Reading: C1
Spoken Interaction: C1
Spoken Production: B2
Writing: B2

Now someone else can look at both the criteria and my self-assessment (obviously relying on my honesty here!) and form a clearer idea about my competence in French (or lack of it).

The relevant documentation is here

Edited by Andy E on 13 August 2010 at 9:53am

5 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5216 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 28 of 59
14 August 2010 at 4:11pm | IP Logged 
Andy E wrote:

The thing is, there's a perfectly acceptable measurement of proficiency (there I've said it) in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages and the Wikipedia article here gives some helpful comparisons to relate those to other standards (North American, for example).

The reason I like the CEF is that the documentation also provides self-assessment criteria for defined competencies - those being Listening, Reading, Spoken Interaction, Spoken Production, Writing. So instead of announcing that I'm fluent or proficient in French I can actually say that IMHO I currently rate myself:

I can't agree more. Using such a set of standards, we can at least decide to talk about the same things.

One aspect of the CEFR model is that it sets communicative goals and not linguistic or structural goals within languages. For example, there is no set number of "words" per level. The emphasis is on the ability to really use the language.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5797 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 29 of 59
14 August 2010 at 5:17pm | IP Logged 
frenkeld wrote:
In Russian there is an expression "свободно владеть языком", which literally means to "freely possess a language" - it is made up of everyday words, and it conveys easy facility with the language in a general sense, without being narrowly confined to the fluidity of utterances. I have not been able to come up with a good English equivalent. Something like Spanish "dominar un idioma" is probably a close enough equivalent, but I can't think of anything similar in English.

We sometimes talk about "mastery", or "mastering" a language.
frenkeld wrote:
lingoleng wrote:
I guess the problem is that morphology and etymology of the word "fluent" are not fully transparent for an average speaker of English. ... The word fluent is certainly not equally understandable for a speaker of the English language, and this leads to the confusion.
Edit: I should add that the word "proficient" is certainly just as hard to understand, for similar reasons.

The word "fluent" is pretty clear to an English speaker because everyone knows what "fluid" means.

Sorry, that is not the case. Most English speakers make no link whatsoever between "fluent" and "fluid".

I remember discussing what it meant to be "fluent" in a language when I was a teenager. None of us really knew what it meant -- me, my brothers, my sisters, my parents. We thought it just meant "good at", and were trying to work out how good was fluent.

I didn't learn the technical meaning until I started studying university languages at the age of 25.

Personally, I try to avoid any word that has a different colloquial and technical meaning. I only talk about "fluency" to people in the technical community.

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5084 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 30 of 59
14 August 2010 at 6:00pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
II remember discussing what it meant to be "fluent" in a language when I was a teenager. None of us really knew what it meant -- me, my brothers, my sisters, my parents. We thought it just meant "good at", and were trying to work out how good was fluent.
I didn't learn the technical meaning until I started studying university languages at the age of 25.

Thanks for this clarification.
I would like to add a little story about a curious word whose meaning I learned as a child or teenager, I don't remember exactly. The word was "slagon" (German "Slagon", with a French pronunciation). My mother used it in sentences like "Look at this funny advertisement, pretty funy, this slagon!" Or: "I don't understand what these people say, they speak in a strange slagon, so I don't get the meaning."
You may be able to guess that this word was actually a hybrid of "slogan" and "jargon", I had no clue about this and used this word on several occasions and in my mind. The one or other person with a better vocabulary than me may have given me a strange look, but I did not really get suspicious.
Some strange day I finally made the connection between the words "jargon", "slogan" and "slagon" - and noticed that there was no room in the German language for my beloved neologism, its place was already taken by enemy creatures. A rather embarassing and irritating moment, but a good lesson just as well. (I think from this day on I was aware that "native competence" or similar conceptions are just an abstraction, and not something one can take for granted.)
I could give more examples of wrong vocabulary acquisition from my own experience, there are quite some words whose meaning I had to relearn, not only after "scientific" studies, but just simple words, but I think everybody has made similar experiences, and may just not remember or want to "confess" it.

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6729 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 31 of 59
14 August 2010 at 6:25pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
Most English speakers make no link whatsoever between "fluent" and "fluid".

I will accept that it would require a somewhat keeer eye to connect "fluent" and "influential", but "fluent" and "fluid"? Seems kind of obvious - it's just that most people don't use etymology for a precise meaning of an ambiguous term, only as a rough guide, which is the right approach anyway. Suppose you did make the connection in your family gathering? Would that make the precise meaning of the term immediately clear? Not really, but it would be of some help - that's as far as the etymology can be expected to help.

The word "fluent" simply has a broder meaning in an everday context than it does in a technical one, and there is nothing wrong with that. To say that the broader meaning is not what it should be because of the etymology of the word is in my view an attempt to legislate what cannot be legislated.

Edited by frenkeld on 14 August 2010 at 6:29pm

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5797 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 32 of 59
14 August 2010 at 8:27pm | IP Logged 
frenkeld wrote:
I will accept that it would require a somewhat keeer eye to connect "fluent" and "influential", but "fluent" and "fluid"? Seems kind of obvious

Hang on, are you genuinely telling me that I'm wrong here? Or are you suggesting that my entire family is below average intelligence? >:-(

Because seriously, it is not obvious. The word "fluent" is not used at all in everyday English except for languages, so there is no reason to make any connection.

This discussion contains 59 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version