Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
CT1001
United States
Joined 5017 days ago

4 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 8
13 August 2010 at 4:38pm | IP Logged 
I've been studying french and have gone through a program called "Unforgettable Language", which I really liked. After completing the lessons in that course, I decided to move on to Assimil and French in Action.

Here's my question: I really enjoy French in Action, but I find the workbook exercises to be very tedious. I think it's the large number of exercises for each lesson that is getting to me. Since I'm also doing Assimil (which I really like, by the way), it takes me a solid week to finish the workbook exercises. Becasue of it taking so long, the flow of the videos is kind of lost.

So, here is my proposed plan of action, but I was hoping for some input:

1) Continue on with Assimil, doing one lesson a day

2) Watch the FIA video on day one. On day two, read the text (I have the textbook as well) and make sure I understand every word. On day 3,rewatch the FIA video lesson, and then move on to the next video lesson.

3) I also have the FSI course and have done several lessons in the Phonology (I stopped when the Unforgettable Languages course was getting intense). I really like it, so I'm thinking of starting it back. So, I would do one lesson a day in FSI (did this last night and really enjoyed it).

4) After I get through all 52 FIA videos, then start back with the workbooks.

How does this sound? Will I be losing a lot by not doing the workbooks along with the vidos the first time? What I'm worried about, is that because of the workbooks, I'm starting to really dislike FIA - I gringe when I open up that workbook.

1 person has voted this message useful

michaelmichael
Canada
Joined 5056 days ago

167 posts - 202 votes 
Studies: French

Message 2 of 8
14 August 2010 at 1:20am | IP Logged 
The proposed study plan, that is suggested by pierre capretz, is video, audio, work book, and then textbook. Actually to be more exact, the workbook tells you when you should read the textbook, it's usually after the first couple of exercises.
He believes the textbook should be last because it is harder to test listening comprehension, if you've already read the story, and he is also concerned about people pronouncing the words wrong due to spelling. The example in the textbook demonstrating that orthography and sound do not have a 1 to 1 correspondence is "fish" could be spelled as "ghoti", if you took the gh from enough, the o from women and the ti from nation.

That said, most people on these boards did not use the workbook, and they benefited from the videos. In addition, you have to like your method to stay motivated and committed. If you hate the workbook as much as you do, i guess you could skip it.

I am glad to hear that you like the FSI lessons on phonology. I haven't tried yet, but was thinking about it.

Edited by michaelmichael on 14 August 2010 at 4:16am

3 persons have voted this message useful

CT1001
United States
Joined 5017 days ago

4 posts - 5 votes

Message 3 of 8
14 August 2010 at 5:39pm | IP Logged 
Michael - thanks for the comments. You are right about the Capretz method. And, I shouldn't give the impression that the workbook is not good - it's actually excellent. However, each workbook chapter averages about 55 or so exercises (based on my skimming through the workbook). Now, 55 may not seem like much, but most of those exercises either require listening to audio, rewatching the video, reading the text, or a considerable amount of writing - oh, also, it takes time to read the study guide, which adds a miunte or two per exercise. All of this is very, very good; but, right now, it's taking me on average about 10-15 minutes an exercise. So, with 55 exercises, that's about 10 hours of work per lesson, just for the workbook and study guide. With 52 lessons, that comes out to about 520 hours for the workbook and study guide and with additional time to watch the videos and read the text, say another 50 hours or so, it's a 575 hour program to do everything in the method!

So, I tried this method - watch the video, read the study guide, read the text and understand every word, and rewatch the video. For my way of learning, I like it better. I may go back to the workbook after I've completed all the videos, but right now, it's so time consuming I'm afraid I will lose motivation.

Also, as I mentioned - I'm really enjoying the Assimil lessons. Very interesting little stories in each lesson and I like how they introduce new material. I'm not sure how it would be if it were my first program, but it's great as a second program.

Don't get me wrong on FSI; I can see where it could become incredibly boring at some point. However, for the way I learn, FSI is working very well. It's lots of repetition, but it moves very quickly. Plus, I can tell that it is improving my pronunciation.

Thanks again
2 persons have voted this message useful

Faraday
United States
Joined 5917 days ago

129 posts - 256 votes 
Speaks: German*

Message 4 of 8
14 August 2010 at 9:36pm | IP Logged 
Only you can determine what is useful for you.

CT1001
United States
Joined 5017 days ago

4 posts - 5 votes

Message 5 of 8
16 August 2010 at 9:30pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, Faraday - That's definitely the conclusion I've reached as well.

Right now, I'm using the FIA course sans the workbook and I'm enjoying the program much more. I might add the workbook later, but right now, I feel that Assimil and FSI are filling in the gaps.

michaelmichael
Canada
Joined 5056 days ago

167 posts - 202 votes 
Studies: French

Message 6 of 8
17 August 2010 at 12:00am | IP Logged 
CT1001 wrote:
Thanks, Faraday - That's definitely the conclusion I've reached as well.

Right now, I'm using the FIA course sans the workbook and I'm enjoying the program much more. I might add the workbook later, but right now, I feel that Assimil and FSI are filling in the gaps.

how's the study guide ? is it useful ? I didn't buy it because I read a negative comment about it on these forums.

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5364 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 7 of 8
17 August 2010 at 1:38pm | IP Logged 
The study guide is intended for 'home learners' using the FIA course to get university credits. It contains a summary of what is happening in the video and an explanation of what you are supposed to know in each lesson (i.e. in terms of grammar, pronounciation, non verbal signs used by the actors, and so on). According to the instructors manual it is intended to supply the home learner with the information a tutor would give the university student in the 'near immersion' class room environment that FIA envisages.

I think people here who have given 'negative' comments about the study guide are probably not true beginners and may even be at an early intermediate level - In my opinion, if you are at that level the study guide tells you little you already know. What it does tell you can be easily gleaned from watching the videos and the grammar explanations are better served by a dedicated grammar book. I find the Study Guides to be useful but not essential.     

CT1001
United States
Joined 5017 days ago

4 posts - 5 votes

Message 8 of 8
17 August 2010 at 3:27pm | IP Logged 
Ditto what Elexi just said.

The only thing I would add is that I find it "somewhat useful" at my level. There are nuggets of useful information, but I find I have to wade through a lot of other stuff to get to it. Not the best use of study time.

I think the textbook and videos are outstanding, but I think they missed the mark with the workbooks and the study guides (each workbook and study guide only covers half the course). I think they should have combined the study guide into the workbook and reduced the number of workbook exercises down to no more than 20 per lesson.

I would recommend the study guide if you can find an inexpensive copy (I bought mine used off of ebay). I only have the part one study guide and probably will not be getting the second part.

Edited by CT1001 on 17 August 2010 at 3:28pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version