Temple09
United Kingdom
Joined 5115 days ago

12 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 4
13 August 2010 at 7:00pm | IP Logged 
Hi,

I have been learning French for a few years now and have got to a standard where I can hold decent conversations with French speakers, but am still on the intermediate level. I only recently bought the Asimil books (both the "With ease" and the "Using" examples) but I am unsure of whether the recommended method would work for me, and whether this method would be suitable for any user of the "Using" book.
My understanding of the method is that one absorbs the language through familiarity and repetition of sentence forms and structure as well as common words and phrases. This certainly sounds fine for an introduction to an unfamiliar language. However, I (and most people who graduate to "Using" level) am already familiar with sentence construction, basic words and phrases and certain more complex forms, so this familiarity is already lodged and I don't find that I am learning anything unless I copy out unfamiliar words and phrases into a programme like Anki and then actively learn them myself. I.e. Assimil is being used almost as a list of new things to actively learn
However, a friend criticised me for this, stating that the Assimil method works and that I should give it more time, although he was unable to explain how passive learning would be more beneficial to someone who already grasps all of the basics of the language.
Can anyone offer any suggestions or explanations on this matter?

Edited by Temple09 on 13 August 2010 at 7:02pm

1 person has voted this message useful

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5766 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 4
15 August 2010 at 10:54pm | IP Logged 
It's OK to adapt a program to fit your own previous experience and preferred study techniques. I have this book too, and I do just what you said - I make the passive part a little more active just because I learn faster that way and it's more interesting. That approach might not work for everyone. It's not the exact Assimil method, but it's close enough and I'm learning a lot.

I like Assimil so far, but the passive part is a little too passive for me. So, I do some "light" active study of the material; after all, I am using other sources at the same time and I use these actively, and since there's a lot of common vocabulary and grammar amongst my sources, why not? I try not to overdo it, and sometimes just listen and absorb, as the program teaches, but I retain the material better when I understand more of it. At the same time, I know I don't have to understand all of it right away, and so I don't look up everything.

If you're already familiar much of the lesson content, it's easy to get bored with the program, so use it in the way that works best for you.

Temple09
United Kingdom
Joined 5115 days ago

12 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 3 of 4
16 August 2010 at 7:35pm | IP Logged 
I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one. I was starting to worry that I was missing out on some secret. Especially because the friend I mention is a triglot and is making huge advances in his languages. Perhaps it was just comparitive jealousy on my behalf...

SimonSanook
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5066 days ago

4 posts - 5 votes

Message 4 of 4
16 August 2010 at 11:09pm | IP Logged 
Temple09 wrote:
I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one. I was starting to worry that I was missing out on some secret. Especially because the friend I mention is a triglot and is making huge advances in his languages. Perhaps it was just comparitive jealousy on my behalf...

no need to be jealous , we all learn at different rates. perhaps you should ask him to mentor you ?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version