jaguarsfan77
United States
Joined 5214 days ago

16 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 3
13 August 2010 at 9:31pm | IP Logged 
I have a question about using Spanish music for study. I enjoy and can understand a fair bit of Spanish music (particularly pop and pop/rock.) That said, I recently discovered the joys of reggaeton (to the point that I wish there was more similar music in English), but I'm having difficulty with the lyrics. Is this sort of music similar to American southern rap where many native English speakers can't make sense of it.

For instance, there are at least 6 different noticeably different interpretations of the lyrics for this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPHRLPtAgHA online, and most of them appear to have been written by native Spanish speakers (since they frequently mess up the English expressions that appear in the song.) Can natives even reliably understand reggaeton?

Thus my questions: Is is useful for study? On the one hand, I think listening to a lot of it is helping my ability to understand fast speech in general. It's also helping me understand Puerto Rican stuff in general. On the other hand, is it going to mess up my comprehension of normal Spanish? Also, is it better to stick to songs that are more easy to understand on the first or second listen rather than the tenth or twentieth?

Finally, does anyone have recommendations for more contemporary dance/electro/techno music in Spanish not from Puerto Rico? I don't wish to gain a Puerto Rican accent.
1 person has voted this message useful

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5115 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 2 of 3
14 August 2010 at 1:54am | IP Logged 
I you like Reggaeton, you should also check out Bachata and Merengue. Bachata tends to be a bit cheesy, but you shouldn't have problems understanding the lyrics. There are also many fan-made Bachata videos with lyrics on Youtube. For example Romeo y Julieta. For European Spanish rock you could try the Spanish group Heroes del Silencio.

Edited by Doitsujin on 14 August 2010 at 1:54am

datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5380 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 3 of 3
14 August 2010 at 10:55pm | IP Logged 
I use reggaeton all the time for study. Daddy Yankee, Wisin y Yandel, Rakim y Ken-Y, Casa de Leones, Julio Voltio, Baby Ranks, and Tito el Bambino are my favorites :)

I think natives of Spanish struggle similarily with Reggaeton as we do with songs in our own language. You know when you hear a song and say "What did he just say?" or you guess at what it sounds like and you get it completely wrong when you look up with lyrics :D It can only help in my opinion; I thought I was all set in Spanish until I started listening to everyday stuff like TV and music. I have a lot of work to do :)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version