William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6054 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 9 of 11
14 August 2010 at 3:59pm | IP Logged 
I often carry around pocket ones, Langenscheidt, Collins or Oxford. The quality of them varies but they are easily portable and I can use them for a bit of language study or review.
1 person has voted this message useful

aru-aru
Triglot
Latvia
Joined 6239 days ago

244 posts - 331 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, Russian

Message 10 of 11
14 August 2010 at 4:43pm | IP Logged 
I find Chinese dictionary Wenlin offers to be even better than most paper dictionaries that I have. I mean vocabulary covered is huge, it includes very specific culture-related stuff and such. Also, searching for a Chinese character is much faster when you can draw it, rather than search for it using the "traditional" methods. If we talk texts you can find online, well, nothing beats the pop-up dictionary approach.*

My big fat Chinese-Russian dictionary beats Wenlin in military terms, I assume, but that's about it. The Oxford dictionary is no good. Sinolingua publishes good dictionaries, I prefer the bilingual ones explaining things both in Chinese and English. Much better than simple Chinese-English ones. They also offer very specific dictionaries - the idiom dictionary, synonym dictionary, function word dictionary and what not. At one point of your studies, that's the stuff you look for and can't find in a "normal" dictionary. Chinese synonyms and differences in meaning and usage is a killer. If looking for a good Chinese dictionary, Sinolingua is your publisher.

That said, I hate paper dictionaries, because they slow me down. If I try to read, and have to look up the words all the time, I'm quitting before the page is finished. So, for me that is not an option.

But yes, having a good dictionary for emergencies is necessary. For when online stuff can give you no answer. Though, that's usually when the paper dictionary can't either. Tip: try Google image search, if at total loss. Has saved me countless times. If unsure how to use the word, see what sentences Google spits out.

Get the biggest and fattest dictionary you can get your hands on and let it dust on the shelf untill you need it.

*Anyone can recommend a good Spanish-English pop-up dictionary?

Edited by aru-aru on 14 August 2010 at 4:47pm

tpark
Tetraglot
Pro Member
Canada
Joined 6828 days ago

118 posts - 127 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Dutch, French
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 11
17 August 2010 at 5:41am | IP Logged 
I use the dictionaries that I can download to my iPhone - Larousse and the van Dale are available for purchase in this manner. You don't need an internet connection to use these (a good thing, especially if you're roaming in Europe) and of course the iPhone is portable and there's no need to drag heavy books around, especially if you're in the mode of purchasing things to take home. Lookup is fast and easy. I try to use the unilingual versions first, then go to translations if I still can't figure it out.

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version