17 messages over 3 pages: 1 2 3  Next >>
johndem
Joined 4997 days ago

16 posts - 16 votes
Studies: English

Message 1 of 17
14 August 2010 at 1:49pm | IP Logged 
Hi,

I want to learn Spanish very well. I already did some pimsleur and some other stuff, which I'll continue to do, but I feel it's too basic.

Some days ago I found FSI Spanish and those courses look like something you can really work at. That's what I like.

I have a few questions about them.

1. Which FSI Spanish course is the best? I want to become a fluent speaker.
My own impression is that Basic is the best but I want to know the opinion of those who actually tried both.

2. Where can I get the books (not the PDF files) of the Basic course? I know Barron sells level 1 and 2. But I'm looking for 3 and 4 as well. I hate studying in front of a computer screen, and the PDF's are too large to print out. (The Programmatic books seem quite easily to obtain)

3. Where can I get the audio of FSI Basic Spanish 4? 1 through 3 are available for free but 4 isn't (yet?). This would not be a big deal now, as it would take a while to get through the first 3. But it may be a dissapointement later on.

If you can help me with any or all of the questions above, please let me know.

Thank you.
John
1 person has voted this message useful

bilbo272
United Kingdom
Joined 4998 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 2 of 17
14 August 2010 at 2:26pm | IP Logged 
I have been using the Platiquemos course, which is FSI with re-recorded sound and updated booklets. Try this site
for FSI downloads though.

http://www.freelanguagecourses.com/

johndem
Joined 4997 days ago

16 posts - 16 votes

Message 3 of 17
14 August 2010 at 4:15pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for your reply.

I thought about the Platiquemos course but I don't like it that they slowed the down the speech.

So I'll stick to the original. Now I just need to figure out which (programmatic or basic) is the best and where I can find the Basic books 3 and 4 (not the PDF's), and I´m ready to go...

hypersport
United States
Joined 5662 days ago

216 posts - 307 votes 

Message 4 of 17
15 August 2010 at 5:17am | IP Logged 
Get Learning Spanish Like Crazy 1 and 2. With that you'll receive Basic 3 and 4 for free along with Programmatic stuff.

LSLC is a very good course. Extremely well done and to follow it up with FSI Basic you will have a very good base.

I did LSLC in its entirety several times through. Then I did FSI Programmatic. Then I did Basic and then went back to Programmatic a few more times.

Read books. Start with childrens books and work your way up to novels. Always have a book that you're reading and read out loud. This will increase vocabulary and solidify the grammar for you while you enjoy a story. Best of both worlds.

Listen to music and look up the words online.   Then read the lyrics and sing with the songs that you like.

Change your satelite package to a Latino one. I've got Latino Max from Dishnetwork. I have probably 40 or more channels in Spanish. Quit watching American TV. Watch Spanish TV.

Sign up with Spanishpod. Keep the podcasts in your ear every moment you can. I have my ipod full of interviews, conversations, lessons, etc and I have it in my ear 8 hours a day every day at work.

Seek out native speakers and start speaking. Stores, restaurants, at work, the gym, wherever. Just start speaking.

Make friends with people at language exchange sites and speak with them via Skype and messenger. Learn to type Spanish as fast as you do English.

Write in Spanish and focus on the punctuation. Pause opening dialogs in lessons and write what you're hearing. Get to the point where you don't miss a single word. Writing is very effective at getting stuff deep into your brain.

Basically if you want it, you've got to do it. Make changes in everything that you possibly can so that the Spanish is in your head as much as possible.

bilbo272
United Kingdom
Joined 4998 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 5 of 17
15 August 2010 at 11:14am | IP Logged 
How long have you been doing that routine for? You must be really good by now!!

johndem
Joined 4997 days ago

16 posts - 16 votes

Message 6 of 17
15 August 2010 at 4:23pm | IP Logged 
Wow, thanks Hypersport for the detailed reply!

That looks like an excelent course of action.
The only thing is that I have some doubts about LSLC.

I heard that compared to everyday Spanish, they use the subject pronouns a little bit too much.

hypersport
United States
Joined 5662 days ago

216 posts - 307 votes 

Message 7 of 17
15 August 2010 at 6:51pm | IP Logged 
LSLC is focused on Latin American Spanish with native speakers. It is very, very good and does not hold back.

I did Level 1 (32 lessons with approx. 35 minutes per lesson) over 30 times. I did Level 2 (30 lessons plus 12 bonus lessons again at about 35 minutes per lesson) at least 15 times completely through.

People see his website and figure it's a bunch of crap, way over the top. But hey, to each his own and that's his approach at selling. More power to him, it's probably worked pretty good.

None of that matters though, I can tell you the course IS that good. That being said, remember, a course will give you basics. It will put you in the pool, but you've got to swim on your own.

I recommend the FSI stuff just as high as LSLC. These two courses are all you'll ever need as far as courses go, but all the other stuff that I mentioned is equally as valuable. If you're serious about speaking Spanish, you'll need all of the tools and serious dedication.

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6724 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 8 of 17
15 August 2010 at 7:56pm | IP Logged 
hypersport wrote:
Then I did FSI Programmatic. Then I did Basic and then went back to Programmatic a few more times.

Hypersport, did you do Basic I-IV after the Programmatic, or just Basic III-IV?

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version