Kotatko
United States
Joined 5067 days ago

16 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Russian, Czech

Message 1 of 6
15 August 2010 at 6:26pm | IP Logged 
I have been living here in the Republic of Georgia for 10 months and studying Russian with a native speaker slowly but surely. I have many opportunities to speak Russian with the Georgians here (I do it every day at the market, shops, and restaurants). I managed a conversation with my landlady the other day that lasted about 30 minutes (but it was quite broken). The problem is that my confidence is waning! I am not a fast Russian learner and I am still quite attached to the Latin alphabet. I read my first reader like a 5 year old and I really only grasp the words after memorization. My pronunciation and general grasp of the grammar is quite weak as well.

I want to continue my studies but can someone pep me up and tell me that it will get easier!!! I am getting depressed. I am hoping that Russian might help me in a future career someday as well; but of course I must learn this grueling language! Will trade travel advice if needed :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6199 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 2 of 6
15 August 2010 at 7:37pm | IP Logged 
You can get better at Russian, and you will if you keep at it.

Consider supplementing your studies with more material and time spent on them.

For reading Cyrillic comfortably, I'd recommend reading while listening to audio that corresponds to what you read.

Good luck.

3 persons have voted this message useful

ThisIsGina
Groupie
United Kingdom
languageblogbygina.w
Joined 5078 days ago

56 posts - 72 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Romanian, Catalan, Greek, German, French

Message 3 of 6
15 August 2010 at 8:16pm | IP Logged 
If you can carry on a conversation in Russian, you're doing well! It would be a waste of time if you gave up now. If you stick with it you can and will improve.
2 persons have voted this message useful

AeOeUe
Tetraglot
Germany
Joined 4978 days ago

16 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: German*, English, French, Dutch
Studies: Russian

Message 4 of 6
15 August 2010 at 9:57pm | IP Logged 
I'm feeling with you! I'm pretty much in the same situation, after almost a year in Belarus I can have some broken conversations in Russian, but I do not study as much as I could. I am planning to take a Russian course when I'm back in Germany, my goal is to be able to read some books and articles in Russian. I don't necessarily want to be fluent, but there is so much Russian culture that you can only access when you read Russian. Plus the former Soviet Union is one of the few parts of the world where you won't get by with English, so speaking Russian is of more practical use than speaking, say, Dutch, where you can get all the information in English just as well.

I reckon if you're in Georgia, you are not confronted with Cyrillic as much as you'd be in Belarus or Russia, but it really is not that hard to learn to read it fluently. Reading while listening to audio is a good idea, but also if you just keep reading a small amount every day you will get there in no time. You can also try writing English words in Cyrillic, which gives you some practice and makes a huge impression on anyone who doesn't speak Russian ;)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5316 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 5 of 6
15 August 2010 at 11:04pm | IP Logged 
I second Volte's advice on listening and reading in Russian, as this is probably one of the best things you could do on your own at this stage to try and really get a feel for the language. With enough prep, these voices in your head will soon be ready to sing for you next time you need them in conversation.

On top of this, try to do things in and with Russian that you really love. And ideally, if you can, try to find new beauty or strengths in the language every day that will lead you out of your comfort zone and into the hands of new ideas, people, and places. When you associate good feelings and new discoveries together with Russian, it'll lead you naturally on from strength to strength - this is the real secret to long-term language learning, after all, I think.

And as for reasons why you should continue (apart from Russian being one of the most voluptuous-sounding, culture-rich, and soulful languages in the world, with arguably some of the finest literature and craziest idioms and drinking toasts around)...simple: never ever quit, do the best you can to meet your goals, and no regrets.

Oh, and by the way, it WILL get a lot easier. And it'll probably happen when you least expect it, twice, whilst waiting for a bus. Really. ;)

Edited by Teango on 15 August 2010 at 11:08pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Kotatko
United States
Joined 5067 days ago

16 posts - 23 votes
Studies: French, Russian, Czech

Message 6 of 6
16 August 2010 at 2:15pm | IP Logged 
Spaseeba! Thanks for your inspiration; quitting would be a bad idea especially with the access that I have to the language and very affordable lessons. I have been so frustrated lately, but you guys have helped me feel that it is not a lost cause! Come visit me anytime you feel like hiking the Caucasus!

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version