michaelmichael
Canada
Joined 5038 days ago

167 posts - 202 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 1 of 19
16 August 2010 at 3:01am | IP Logged 
I have been searching for books (or websites or anything) on Articulatory Phonetics, preferably with french as its focus. Does anyone have recommendations , or know of such books ?

Just to be clear, what I mean by articulatory phonetics is how are mouth, teeth, and tongue interact to make sounds.

Thanks

1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5162 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 2 of 19
16 August 2010 at 3:39pm | IP Logged 
How the mouth, the teeth and the tongue interact to make sounds is exactly what phonetics is; you don't need to say "articulatory". But sorry, no, I don't know of a particular book to suggest... other than first learning IPA really well.

palfrey
Canada
Joined 5054 days ago

81 posts - 180 votes 
Studies: German, French

Message 3 of 19
16 August 2010 at 3:54pm | IP Logged 
My knowledge of French is still too elementary to recommend anything. But these two books might be the sort of thing you're looking for:

An Introduction to French Pronunciation, by Glanville Price:
http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Pronunciation-Blackwell-R eference-Grammars/dp/1405132558/ref=pd_sim_b_1

The Sounds of French: An Introduction, by Bernard Tranel:
http://www.amazon.com/Sounds-French-Introduction-Bernard-Tra nel/dp/0521315107/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_1

But if you are interested in articulatory phonetics for languages in general (not only French), here is one I can recommend:

A Practical Introduction to Phonetics, by J.C. Catford:
http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Introduction-Phonetics-Textb ooks-Linguistics/dp/0199246351/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_1

Of course, being so broad in scope, it cannot cover all the details of French pronounciation. But you may still find it interesting to learn how to produce some of the sounds used in various languages around the world.

eumiro
Bilingual Octoglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 5055 days ago

74 posts - 102 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, Slovak*, French, English, German, Polish, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Italian, Hungarian

Message 4 of 19
16 August 2010 at 3:56pm | IP Logged 
I cannot imagine reading about the articulation and learning it this way. I would prefer to hear the language and let a native speaker confirm that my pronunciation is correct.

However, if you look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czech_language#Consonants - there are the consonants in the Czech language in some sort of a table, where not all cases are filled in (this combination of place/manner of articulation does not exist in this language).

You can certainly find such a table for other languages in Wikipedia and then look here: Place of articulation and Manner of articulation to get all combinations explained...

michaelmichael
Canada
Joined 5038 days ago

167 posts - 202 votes 

Message 5 of 19
16 August 2010 at 5:53pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
How the mouth, the teeth and the tongue interact to make sounds is exactly what phonetics is; you don't need to say "articulatory". But sorry, no, I don't know of a particular book to suggest... other than first learning IPA really well.

Well phonetics is a bit of a broader field than that. Sound perception for example is another subfield, neurological bases is another, studying the sound waves is another, systems of characterization is another, they are also interested in trends, how certain sounds change or get lost etc...
The reason i said articulatory was that there are quite a few phonetic french books that don't actually tell you how to make the sounds, they just do drills of words that need to be contrasted and are close. As for learning the IPA really well, I can read the french IPA, something I can't do for English. While i am of course concerned with french phonology, i need to make sure that I am able to do all 37 french phonemes properly.I still don't know if I am doing the R properly, I should probably put a sound file up eventually . I have used audacity and compared it to the french R from french in action, and i can never get it exactly.

palfrey, eumiro.Thanks. I am checking out these links now :D

About.com has said "le savoir dire" is the best book for french phonetics and phonology. Does anyone know if they show detailed diagrams ? it has been hard to find any information on this book. I will be checking out university libraries

hobbitofny
United States
Joined 6014 days ago

280 posts - 408 votes 
Studies: Russian

Message 6 of 19
16 August 2010 at 6:28pm | IP Logged 
You should find what you are looking for in Barron's Pronounce It Perfect series. Pronunce It Perfect in French with audio cds, 2nd Edition by Christopher Kendris is the title. I have not seen it. I have the Prounce It Perfect in Russian. It shows the placement of lips, teeth and tongue for each sound. It give examples texts and has audio to speak with precise style of Russian speech. I assume the French follows the same pattern.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5162 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 7 of 19
17 August 2010 at 8:29pm | IP Logged 
What would the perfect book offer?

I've considered creating an extensive Youtube series on the phonology of French for English learners. I'd break it up into smaller chunks so people can only visit the parts that they care about (consonants, vowels, nasals, R, etc.). What would make such a series of videos perfect for your needs?

My first language is Québec French, however, so I may not correspond to the ideal of some.

michaelmichael
Canada
Joined 5038 days ago

167 posts - 202 votes 

Message 8 of 19
18 August 2010 at 5:31am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
What would the perfect book offer?

I've considered creating an extensive Youtube series on the phonology of French for English learners. I'd break it up into smaller chunks so people can only visit the parts that they care about (consonants, vowels, nasals, R, etc.). What would make such a series of videos perfect for your needs?

My first language is Québec French, however, so I may not correspond to the ideal of some.

Well i live in quebec, so your accent is ideal for me ;). well, most videos don't really talk about tongue placement. The main youtube video on the net for the french R http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5SuUTKuQNM&feature=channel does not talk about tongue placement. She basically says the french R is kind of like spitting. So far my only real source of tongue placement that I have seen is french in action. I put the tip of my tongue at my lower teeth, I arch the back upwards, i blow from my lungs.

Some information which has been helpful for me are
1) dentalizing T,N,L,D. you need to be told this because the sound is quite similar at the alveolar ridge.
2) aspirating consonants
3) i learned only recently that french vowels are usually short, i would hold the sound
4) the vowel trapezoid. Getting comfortable with contrasting the frontal rounded vowels from the back was huge for me.
5) getting rid of English Diphthong, like the W, and the Y sounds.
6) more of a trivia thing, but it is kind of cool to know that french doesn't have the j in jump or the ch in church.
7) stress
8) Liaison,Elision, Informal Reductions

If you're making a video, you might like this site
http://www.ielanguages.com/frenchphonetics.html
They have some good pairs for demonstrating phonetic contrast.
By the way, if/when you make this video, be sure to inform us (particularly me :D). I know there are a lot of people who could really use it (me).

hobbitofny wrote:
You should find what you are looking for in Barron's Pronounce It Perfect series. Pronunce It Perfect in French with audio cds, 2nd Edition by Christopher Kendris is the title. I have not seen it. I have the Prounce It Perfect in Russian. It shows the placement of lips, teeth and tongue for each sound. It give examples texts and has audio to speak with precise style of Russian speech. I assume the French follows the same pattern.

Thanks. I actually have the book and have started it. I find it focuses more on which clusters make a particular sound, or the relationship between spelling and sound. They only use IPA at the beginning. Their diagrams and explanations are quite brief. I do agree that it is useful, but only as a collections of sounds and helping you relating orthography to sound. It is not that great with explaining the 37 phonemes. let's take the silent e for example, they say to use the a in again. Well I was lucky to pronounce again in that manner, but I know a lot of people who don't make an "eh" sound, but rather an "ay" sound.

Edited by michaelmichael on 23 August 2010 at 7:11am

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version