Joined 5044 days ago

167 posts - 202 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 17 of 19
20 August 2010 at 10:17pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
michaelmichael wrote:

edit: she also offers private lessons on skype. She is about double the price of most french tutors in Quebec, but i guess few people have a degree in french phonetics.

A degree in French phonetics? I didn't know there was such a thing... I have a degree in Linguistics, and Phonetics was but a small part of that. You could cover French phonetics in a single class.

http://www.frenchsounds.com/ is her website,
her education is listed there.
You are technically right, she got her degree in french, but since she wrote her dissertation on french phonetics, she describes herself as having a phd in french with a specialization in phonetics

this video is where she introduces herself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_ntt57qrI4

Elexi wrote:
I like the Barrons' PIP series - There is also FSI French Phonology - I found it to be really useful.

As to phonetics - a really good, if dry, technical introduction is J.D. O'Connor, Phonetics.
Thanks.

Edited by michaelmichael on 20 August 2010 at 10:18pm

1 person has voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5217 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 18 of 19
21 August 2010 at 1:14pm | IP Logged 
If you interested in French pronunciation, you may be interested in the following Montreal-based website: www.langcal.com. It doesn't concentrate on articulatory phonetics of French specifically but there is an extensive list of phrases pronounced at two speeds and in two accents (Québécois and French). I think they are more useful for intonation and rhythm than for the study of individual sounds.

michaelmichael
Canada
Joined 5044 days ago

167 posts - 202 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 19 of 19
22 August 2010 at 11:21pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
If you interested in French pronunciation, you may be interested in the following Montreal-based website: www.langcal.com. It doesn't concentrate on articulatory phonetics of French specifically but there is an extensive list of phrases pronounced at two speeds and in two accents (Québécois and French). I think they are more useful for intonation and rhythm than for the study of individual sounds.

Intonation and rhythm are definitely something i can work on. My french teacher during the summer would joke with the class and say "why do you chop up my sentence!!"

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version