hobbitofny
United States
Joined 6032 days ago

280 posts - 408 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 6
16 August 2010 at 7:25am | IP Logged 
I purchased a version of Linguaphone Russian with 78 speed records. It has a broken first record. I noticed utorrent had a 1960 edition. I down loaded the files hoping it would give the broken record and save me creating mp3 files of the records.

The 1960 edition has changes so the mp3 files will not help me. However, the first record on Russian sounds is the same. Between the records and that one mp3 file, I have the complete version.

The differences in the versions is interesting. The 1960 version replaced references to radio with TV. It has post World War Two pictures. They label less items in the drawings. They also removed the use of the unmarked items from the lessons. It seems they wanted to focus on fewer words in each lesson.

There is no date in my copy. I figured out the time period because USA address is at Rockefeller Center. Rockefeller Center was not opened until the 1930s. Also the mailing address is missing the large city postal zones used from 1943 until the introduction of the zip code 1963.   The British Library online has scans of labels from the 1920s, 1930s, 1940s and 1950s. The records match the labels used in the late 1930s and during the war. So the set dates from between the 1938 and 1943.

(By the way, the 1960 set on utorrent is not complete. It is missing the handbook which gives the English translations. To use the 1961 version with only the two books, a person needs to get a Russian English dictionary, a Russian grammar book and someone to give explainatory information.)

I list the books from the 1930s edition and the 1970s-current. I am not sure what titles they used in the 1960s. I share what book titles are in the current and 1930s edition.

1930s Edition:
Linguaphone Conversational Course Russian
Annotated Vocabulary and Explanatory Notes to the Russian Conversation Course (in two parts) Part 1 Lessons 1-15, Part 2 Lessons 16-30
Linguaphone Russian Course Russian-English-French-German Vocabulary
Linguaphone Introduction to Russian Grammar
Linguaphone Russian Course Grammar
Linguaphone Conversational Course Student's Instructions

1970s-Current version:

Student Instructions paper (fold out sheet or booklet. It depends on time period of printing.)
Курс Русского Языка (Course book)
Курс Русского Языка Устные Упражнения (Russian Сourse Oral Exercises)
Курс Русского Языка Упражнения (Russian Сourse Oral Exercises)
Курс Русского Языка Handbook (Translation of Course book, grammar notes, explainatory notes and vocabulary in Russian and English)

Has anyone converted the records to mp3 from the 1930s time period? If so please message me. Thanks...

Edited by hobbitofny on 16 August 2010 at 4:55pm

1 person has voted this message useful

hobbitofny
United States
Joined 6032 days ago

280 posts - 408 votes 

Message 2 of 6
16 August 2010 at 5:07pm | IP Logged 
If you were wondering about why two grammar books in the 1930s course. Linguaphone Introduction to Russian Grammar provides an overview of the grammar and tables. Linguaphone Russian Course Grammar has greater detail and provides examples.

nuriayasmin
Germany
Joined 5042 days ago

155 posts - 210 votes 

Message 3 of 6
16 August 2010 at 11:14pm | IP Logged 
Just out of curiosity: What's your reason to buy such an old language course?

hobbitofny
United States
Joined 6032 days ago

280 posts - 408 votes 

Message 4 of 6
16 August 2010 at 11:22pm | IP Logged 
Here is a review that shows values the courses. He does a great job explaining it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujRgmG0uAqE

LatinoBoy84
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 5374 days ago

443 posts - 603 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, French
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Latvian

Message 5 of 6
17 August 2010 at 1:18am | IP Logged 
The never one is still pretty good, I have it. As long as one supplements with other
materials Linguaphone along with Assimil are good "core/main" courses.

hobbitofny
United States
Joined 6032 days ago

280 posts - 408 votes 

Message 6 of 6
17 August 2010 at 1:40am | IP Logged 
I agree. The current Linguaphone Russian is a good course.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version