Germany
Joined 5079 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 9 of 10
09 September 2010 at 12:36am | IP Logged 
IronFist wrote:
Doitsujin wrote:
Actually, a trilled r [r] is one of the three acceptable ways to pronounce a German r. (The other two are [ʀ] and [ʁ].)

For us non-linguists who don't know those symbols, what's the difference between those two (the R and the upside down R)?

AFAIK, /ʀ/ is called a uvular trill and /ʁ/ a voiced uvular fricative. I.e. [ʀ] is like the French r and [ʁ] is the voiced equivalent of [χ] (the ch sound in Nacht). [ʁ] is more common in Germany than [ʀ].
I found two sound files with a nonsense word on the German Wikipedia web site and linked them to the IPA Symbols in the first sentence. Since they're ogg files, you probably need to have VLC or another media player to listen to then.
The following web site has some nice sound files: The German Consonant 'r' with other consonants
You can also go to the Acapela Text to Speech Demo web site and have it pronounce some words starting with gr or kr. E.g. Kram, krumm, gram, Gramm. The quality is quite good.

Edited by Doitsujin on 09 September 2010 at 7:36pm

1 person has voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4985 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 10 of 10
09 September 2010 at 7:11pm | IP Logged 
I've playing with TTS applications for a while, but this is one of the occasions when I just wouldn't trust an automaton without a native human's seal of approval.

Thank you all for the sound files and explanations.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version