Gray
United States
Joined 5831 days ago

32 posts - 48 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 9 of 11
18 October 2010 at 11:34pm | IP Logged 
Tú is used throughout Latin America, except in countries where they use vos (not to be
confused with vosotros). Both tú and vos are the second person singular informal
pronouns. Vos is sometimes conjugated like tú, but more usually has it's very own verb
conjugation - this is a very regional colloquial thing, though, and I wouldn't worry
about it too much as a beginner. It can just be useful to know if you find yourself
watching an Argentinian movie and going "What are they saying?!!"

Really, tú isn't even all that hard to use. In most tenses, you just add a friendly
little s onto the end of the third person singular form, and there you go. The
preterite is, I believe, the only exception. It's certainly worth learning. And I've
found that most Spanish speakers, from all countries, will ask you to tutear them.
Really, it's awkward to use usted with someone you're even remotely friendly with, and
the Spanish speaking world only seems to be becoming *more* informal over time, not
less.

Now, vosotros really is mostly (or only) used in Spain. In Latin America, ustedes is
usually what you'll hear for the plural second person form. So you're fine leaving off
learning vosotros until you're a bit more advanced. I've found that adding things like
that later on is actually a lot easier than you'd expect. It looks much more daunting
when you're a beginner. You probably will eventually want to learn it though, since a
lot of popular Spanish media (books, movies, music) comes from Spain, though you may be
able to simply pick it up from context once you're at that level.

As far as the possessives go, you'll use tu when referring to someone you would tutear
to, and you'll use su with anyone you'd use the third person form with (usted/
él/ella/ellos/ellas/ustedes). And they become plural or singular based on the object
possessed, not the possessors.

your bicycle - tu bicicleta.
your socks - tus calcetines.
y'all's class - su clase.
their books - sus libros.   [etc, etc]

I like the Practice Makes Perfect books myself, though I like their new shorter "Up
Close" series of workbooks better than their massive "Complete" series.
1 person has voted this message useful

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5248 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 10 of 11
18 October 2010 at 11:48pm | IP Logged 
Andrew~ wrote:
Tu is more frequently used in Latin America than it is in Spain.

No, it's not.

El Forastero
Pentaglot
Colombia
alijunakai.blogspot.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6064 days ago

186 posts - 228 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Portuguese, FrenchB1, EnglishC1, Italian
Studies: German

Message 11 of 11
19 October 2010 at 4:02pm | IP Logged 
Andrew~ wrote:
Tu is more frequently used in Latin America than it is in Spain. Remember, tu can mean "you" or it can mean "yours", e.g. "Tu eres muy sympatico" and "¿Es tu bici?"--the first one means "YOU are very nice", the second one means "Is that YOUR bike?".

That's not correct. The first "tu" (the personal pronoun) must be actually "Tú", with an diacritic accent. However, most people don't mark this diacritic accent and, each time i see "tu" instead "tú", i can understand the sentence without problems.

There are a lot of examples of diacritic accents, and you must be careful to distinguish them

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version