Joined 5366 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 17 of 21
19 August 2010 at 7:33pm | IP Logged 
frenkeld wrote:
datsunking1 wrote:
I usually buy they when they're on sale.
I really buy my items based on the deals/rarity and by what reviews say.

I found two problems with frequenting used bookstores, both problems of space. The first one is that the bookshelves are starting to overflow with language materials, and we have a lot of bookshelf space at home. The second problem is too much empty space in the wallet. There is actually a third problem, that of time - I once estimated the amount of time I would need to go through all the non-reference Spanish learning materials I have, and it exceeded the likely amount of free time in my remaining lifespan.

To elaborate on the financial aspect of it, I am of working age, so I was never too concerned with what I was spending on language materials. Still, a few years ago I tracked my language acquisitions for a year, which included a purchase of all the materials - including the CD's and the DVD's - for part I of the FIA. I decided that the total for that year was a bit extravagant and set two thirds of it as my annual language budget for the future.

Now that I have been tracking all my language purchases for several years, and have had budgets to work with, I found that all these deals on used materials, as well as the new materials I wasn't really using, were actually adding up to a substantial amount, so at times I found myself pinched when I then wanted to order novels or DVD's from abroad, or buy a more expensive study aide. I also discovered a tendency to run out of money for authentic materials because of too many learning materials bought.

Those are the reasons why I now try to avoid buying a learning aide until I am ready to use it. I also try to make sure I always have enough money left for authentic materials.

Yeah I entirely understand :D I usually got giftcards to bookstores as gifts, etc.

I don't think my materials cost over $250...and that's over 50 or 60 books.

I think I'm good to go for the rest of my studies actually. I have a grammar guide, a basic course, native material, and a dictionary for all the languages I plan to study to fluency. :)

I honestly couldn't imagine spending $50 on a book or close to $1000 for Rosetta Stone, I'd have a heart attack :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5564 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 18 of 21
19 August 2010 at 7:36pm | IP Logged 
I can easily imagine spending 50 dollars on a book, but a grand for Rosetta Stone?!!!! Only if it were the REAL Rosetta Stone. Jeezo that stuff must be s!*t hot at that price!

TerryW
United States
Joined 6138 days ago

370 posts - 783 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 19 of 21
20 August 2010 at 9:09am | IP Logged 
datsunking1 wrote:
I honestly couldn't imagine spending $50 on a book...

Aren't you off to Penn State any day now?

You'll soon find yourself more than imagining spending $50+ for books.
2 persons have voted this message useful

tracker465
United States
Joined 5133 days ago

355 posts - 496 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 20 of 21
20 August 2010 at 9:55am | IP Logged 
TerryW wrote:
datsunking1 wrote:

Haha, isn't that the truth.

I find that it sometimes is necessary to spend $50, for instance, when working through a language on a self-study basis. For beginner books, I tend to find that some are designed better than others, but at the end of the day, so many of the products on the market will teach you a nice chunk of the language, if you have the persistence and (sometimes) the brains to figure out what the book is trying to show. Once one begins to reach higher levels of a language, or a more specific niche, then I find that quality books can easily cost a bit more. Less people want/need these books as they are more specialized, and thus the price tag is more.

datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5366 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 21 of 21
21 August 2010 at 9:15pm | IP Logged 
TerryW wrote:
datsunking1 wrote:

Yeah I just arrived here 2 days ago... I spent $400 on my books (what a scam) Oh well :/

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version