ashleyr
United States
Joined 5022 days ago

18 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Korean

Message 1 of 10
19 August 2010 at 4:46pm | IP Logged 
According to my German dictionary, mutter = mother, mama = mom, mommy, vater = father,
and papa = dad, daddy. So my question is this- does German not have separate words for
mom and mommy, dad and daddy? I ask because in English the words mother, mom, and mommy
(for example) all have very different connotations. Mother is a formal word. Mom seems to
be the casual and most common word (at least in United States English). And mommy is
reserved for very young children (again, in the United States). Also, if German does only
have one word for both mom and mommy, do adults use this word as well or only children?
Would a grown man call his father papa or would only a child use this word?

Thanks for your help!
1 person has voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5548 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 2 of 10
19 August 2010 at 5:23pm | IP Logged 
I think that the main difference is that Mutter and Vater are used to talk about somebody (individual, group or role), whereas Mama/Papa, Mami/Papi and some other, less commonly used words are used to address your own family members, and by small children to talk about them. (It is imaginable to use Mutter/Vater to address your parents but that sounds like a very cold family or a very serious, emotional situation)

My own mother had me when she was pretty young for that time and place, and I grew up calling her by her name. Other children often start saying Mama/Mami and Papa/Papi and at some time during puberty, they switch to using the first name, or saying things like Ma/Pa, Mom/Dad, Maman/Papa (I've only ever heard that one from girls). In most families I know, older teenagers and adult children call their parents by their first name.
2 persons have voted this message useful

tracker465
United States
Joined 5134 days ago

355 posts - 496 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 3 of 10
19 August 2010 at 11:50pm | IP Logged 
It is interesting for me to read Bao's post, and see a bit of the cultural difference between the USA and Germany. Although it is getting perhaps more common for American children to refer to their parents by first name, it is something that I do not often stumble upon, atleast in the circles where I spend my time.

I think the distinction we have in English may simply be due to the fact of speakers using diminitives when talking with children. I can think of several, such as "doggy", "mommy", "baggie", etc. Of course some of these words now are used in some set phrases or conotations, but in normal speech, we wouldn't normally talk about "that doggy over there."

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5548 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 

Message 4 of 10
20 August 2010 at 1:09am | IP Logged 
Oh, we also use diminuitives and baby talk when talking to small children. (Just not my mom.) It's just that from a certain age on it's very embarrassing and I would question the sanity of any teenager or adult who uses such speech to anybody who's not a toddler or a frightened elementary student.

And, well. From a certain age on - at the latest onset of puberty - it sounds very immature to use Mama/Mami and Papa/Papi to talk about your parents. Typically, the old form of address will prevail when teenagers want something from their parents or in emotional situations, but not every teenager does that. It probably depends on the relationship between parents and children, the subculture the children identify with most and the individual temperament.

But then again, that might just be my experience and maybe it's different in most places.

nuriayasmin
Germany
Joined 5025 days ago

155 posts - 210 votes 

Message 5 of 10
20 August 2010 at 2:02am | IP Logged 
I'm afraid I don't agree with Bao because my experiences are different. My children are 13 and 15 years old and have always called me "Mama". My daughter sometimes uses "Mami",too. I still call my own mother "Mama" and I know just one couple where the teenage children call their parents by the first names.

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5342 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 6 of 10
21 August 2010 at 1:23am | IP Logged 
Where do Mutti and Vati fit in. Are they a bit old fashioned?

I've been reading a book (by the Norwegian Erlend Loe, but in German) that reminded me that English (and apparently Norwegian) parents sometimes call each other "mother" and "father" and it can become a permanent habit. It does indicate being a bit odd though.

"Dad, I'm bringing my new girfriend when I visit at Christmas. Can you and mum try and call each other by your first names?"
"Of course we can son, isn't that right mother?"

Edited by schoenewaelder on 21 August 2010 at 1:23am

nuriayasmin
Germany
Joined 5025 days ago

155 posts - 210 votes 

Message 7 of 10
21 August 2010 at 2:04am | IP Logged 
I've already heard people (adults) calling their parents "Mutti" and "Vati", "Mutti" seems to be more common from my experience. I don't use those words myself, though and when I read them here they sound a bit strange to me but when I hear someone saying them, it's all right.

My father has the habit to address my mom as "Mutter" but I'm not sure if he also does it when they're alone. He also calles them by her first name, so it's not a totally permanent habit.

Interesting subject, by the way.

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5548 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 

Message 8 of 10
21 August 2010 at 2:27am | IP Logged 
At least where I live, Mutti and Vati aren't only old-fashioned but also don't fit in with the regiolect.

My own experience probably is shaped through my peer group (a lot of fragmented families etc.) but, well. I am used to mainly those kids using pet names for their parents when they're over 12 or so that also have their parents drive them to club activities and classes etc. (=

Oh, you also can say 'Muttertier' and 'Vatertier' but they usually don't like that.

Edited by Bao on 21 August 2010 at 2:28am

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version