Groupie
Germany
Joined 5055 days ago

74 posts - 102 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, Slovak*, French, English, German, Polish, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Italian, Hungarian

Message 17 of 51
09 July 2010 at 8:51pm | IP Logged 
If I don't know the gender of a noun in German, I try to change the sentence so that this noun appears in Dative. Then the article is identical for both male and neuter (dem) and only female is different (der). That's maybe why sometimes I have problems distinguishing male/neuter, but I identify female nouns almost always correctly ;-)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Declan1991
Tetraglot
Ireland
Joined 6220 days ago

233 posts - 359 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Irish, French

Message 18 of 51
09 July 2010 at 11:01pm | IP Logged 
I'm similar, but try to go to plural, especially when writing essays. And plural dative if I've forgotten the plural, because you add an n!
1 person has voted this message useful

indiana83
Groupie
United States
ipracticecanto.wordp
Joined 5271 days ago

92 posts - 121 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Cantonese, Italian

Message 19 of 51
10 July 2010 at 2:33am | IP Logged 
John Smith wrote:
When learning German I treated the noun and its article as if they were one word. So for example when I wanted to learn the word for child I learnt it as Daskind.

Most people I know don't do this. They learn the noun. In this case Kind. Then they try to memorize its gender. Kind is neuter. Kind is neuter...

Example

Daskind = child
Diestadt = city

Same with Spanish

Elchico = the boy

I do this too. I heard about this approach when I first started learning Cantonese. It's almost necessary when the language uses classifiers or noun classes, and there are way more than just the 2 or 3 categories.

ladanoise
Groupie
United States
Joined 5074 days ago

45 posts - 46 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Danish

Message 20 of 51
10 July 2010 at 5:32pm | IP Logged 
I can't do flashcards by color because my French flashcards are blue and my Danish ones are pink. I use paper flashcards and put about 4 words per flashcard -then all the words
are either masculine or feminine (French)or common or neuter (Danish). It also increases my Danish vocabulary because at leasts 75% of the nouns in Danish are common gender, so I have to look for words that are related but neuter gender.

Liface
Triglot
United States
youtube.com/user/Lif
Joined 5639 days ago

150 posts - 237 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 21 of 51
10 July 2010 at 9:59pm | IP Logged 
eumiro wrote:
If I don't know the gender of a noun in German, I try to change the sentence so that this noun appears in Dative. Then the article is identical for both male and neuter (dem) and only female is different (der). That's maybe why sometimes I have problems distinguishing male/neuter, but I identify female nouns almost always correctly ;-)

I do the exact same thing! It's super handy. Also kind of nerdy. I always thought it was weird to be planning out my sentences in advance. But it definitely helps.

By the way, it's helpful to learn the frequency of noun genders in your target language as well. In German it's der (39%), die (35%), das (26%). So if you have to guess, you're better off with der or die.

Edited by Liface on 10 July 2010 at 10:01pm

Declan1991
Tetraglot
Ireland
Joined 6220 days ago

233 posts - 359 votes 

Message 22 of 51
11 July 2010 at 12:19am | IP Logged 
indiana83 wrote:
Most people I know don't do this. They learn the noun. In this case Kind. Then they try to memorize its gender. Kind is neuter. Kind is neuter...
By the way, I've never met anyone who did that, and all my teachers have always recommended learning an article with the word (definite for both French and German, although indefinite would probably be better for French for words beginning with a vowel). For Irish, it's best to learn the genitive singular as well, as it is in many inflecting languages.

Edited by Declan1991 on 11 July 2010 at 12:20am

Aineko
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 5229 days ago

238 posts - 442 votes 
Speaks: Serbian*, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin

Message 23 of 51
11 July 2010 at 1:19am | IP Logged 
What about languages that have genders but donĀ“t have articles, how people go around with
that?
I've never thought about this question until two of my Spanish tutors asked me, surprised
to hear that Serbian doesn't have articles, "but how you remember the noun gender!?".
Well you just have to remember :). Lot of nouns do follow some patterns, but there are
exceptions. (for example, there's no other way than memorizing that smrt (death)
and krv (blood) are feminine, but trn (thorn) is masculine).

Declan1991
Tetraglot
Ireland
Joined 6220 days ago

233 posts - 359 votes 

Message 24 of 51
11 July 2010 at 3:18am | IP Logged 
Admittedly I don't know much about Serbian or those languages similar to it, but doesn't the declension pretty much show the gender, most of the time at least?

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 51 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version