CaucusWolf
United States
Joined 5053 days ago

191 posts - 234 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Arabic (Written), Japanese

Message 1 of 5
20 August 2010 at 1:14am | IP Logged 
    I was wondering If anyone has used this program. It seems to be an interesting idea since it's a virtual simulation of real world situations. It's got a price tag of $795 for personal use. The military uses it as well albeit free. So I'm guessing it has to work at least as well as Rosetta Stone.(Although hopefully much better.)
     The site is http://alelo.com/tactical_language.html. Right now they have The Iraqi dialect, Pashto, Dari and French(which is odd for this language combination. Heh.). The Iraqi course claims to teach somewhere around 1,300 words. The vocabulary list seems decent but you'd think for $795 you'd get more. I think the idea of having to actually reply back to the virtual characters quickly quit intriguing.
      If they'd drop the price down to $100 there'd be alot of language learners behind this. Alas, I can't see this happening anytime soon.

Edited by CaucusWolf on 20 August 2010 at 1:26am

1 person has voted this message useful

Lemus
Diglot
United States
Joined 6162 days ago

232 posts - 266 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Japanese, Russian, German

Message 2 of 5
21 August 2010 at 4:59am | IP Logged 
French isn't that odd. The military operates a fair amount in Francophone African countries with advising roles and whatnot.

Or perhaps the long awaited invasion of France is at hand. Either way.

hobbitofny
United States
Joined 6014 days ago

280 posts - 408 votes 
Studies: Russian

Message 3 of 5
21 August 2010 at 5:39am | IP Logged 
You might look as Transparent Languages software. It is not a 3d interactive, but focused on average person vocabulary and not military language needs.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5792 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 4 of 5
21 August 2010 at 10:58am | IP Logged 
Last time I looked at screenshots of Tactical, there was a lot of multiple choice tasks.

Unfortunately in many courses the choices are so different, you only need to understand one or two words in the sentence to select the correct one. Looking at the screenshots, the multiple choices in Tactical fall into this trap.

I suspect you can finish the game without learning the language. I'm pretty certain that you will not learn 1300 words -- that will be the number of words used, but many of them will only ever occur in one phrase, and you don't "know" a word if you can only use it in one context.

CaucusWolf
United States
Joined 5053 days ago

191 posts - 234 votes 
Studies: Arabic (Written), Japanese

Message 5 of 5
21 August 2010 at 9:52pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
Last time I looked at screenshots of Tactical, there was a lot of multiple choice tasks.

Unfortunately in many courses the choices are so different, you only need to understand one or two words in the sentence to select the correct one. Looking at the screenshots, the multiple choices in Tactical fall into this trap.

I suspect you can finish the game without learning the language. I'm pretty certain that you will not learn 1300 words -- that will be the number of words used, but many of them will only ever occur in one phrase, and you don't "know" a word if you can only use it in one context.

Yea I didn't see that. I guess if there's no real vocabulary lists it would be harder to memorize. I really just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version