Croatia
Joined 5830 days ago

113 posts - 149 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Serbo-Croatian, Turkish

Message 1 of 10
20 August 2010 at 5:07pm | IP Logged 
Hey all,

I moved to Croatia for a year so that I could learn the language. I had very little Croatian ability upon arrival, and
now that I've been here for almost 2 months, my progress is not satisfying. I spent a year in France 6 years ago
and lived with a host family, and I feel that my language skills improved much quicker in two months' time with
French than they have so far with Croatian (granted, I was much younger then and French is waayy more similar
to English than is Croatian) and I can't help but think that it's because I am not immersing myself enough
(considering I am not in a host family environment, only a roommate in a very big apartment).

My year so far has consisted of an intensive program (6.5 hrs/day) that ended in late July, and now I'm meeting
with a tutor 3Xweek for 2 hrs at a time while I wait for the start of a yearlong language program that starts in Oct
and ends in June (which is 3 hrs/day).

I also study the language on my own (with Ronelle's popular BCS textbook), watch Croatian TV all the time, and
even when I watch American films on TV I am reading the Croatian subtitles throughout. I finally made one
Croatian friend, but his English is absolutely perfect and my terrible Croatian has invariably driven our
conversations to English by the end of our hang-outs. I have a Croatian roommate, but he is never home and
when he is, he speaks in the Kajkavski dialect, which I don't understand, so he gets frustrated and switches to
English. To add insult to injury, I have an internship starting next month with an international organization where
the working language is English.

Anyway, sorry for the long message, but I just really want to learn this language and I feel like it's not coming to
me as quickly as it has for me in the past! Any suggestions for getting myself out there and immersing myself
more effectively?

Edited by lecorbeau on 20 August 2010 at 11:00pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5191 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 2 of 10
20 August 2010 at 6:24pm | IP Logged 
It's not surprising you would have progressed faster with French than Croatian. It would have been surprising otherwise.

I'm not sure this would help much, but when I went to Japan earlier this year for 3 weeks, I arranged to meet with people my Japanese friends here knew over in Japan. I made a point of saying how I wanted to meet Japanese people, practice Japanese (and how my goal was to speak Japanese only the whole time), and I encouraged people to bring along their friends, so I could meet more people. My contacts might very well have spoken English, but under these conditions, they tried to help me. Moreover, the friends they brought along often did not speak English, which made it all the better. Had I been there longer, I can only imagine the domino effect this would have created in the long run.

In other words, as you alluded to, I would strongly urge you to meet Croatians through whichever innovative means you can think of.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5459 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 3 of 10
20 August 2010 at 8:24pm | IP Logged 
You're doing everything you can do on your own, so like others said, start mingling with some other Croatians. There are bound to be some with bad English.

Danac
Diglot
Denmark
Joined 5158 days ago

162 posts - 257 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, English
Studies: German, Serbo-Croatian, French, Russian, Esperanto

Message 4 of 10
20 August 2010 at 8:26pm | IP Logged 
This was a very interesting post for me. Within half a year or so, I'll probably end up
studying in Bosnia, so I'm having some of the same thoughts as you are...

I've been studying the BCS languages full time at the university close to where I live
for a year now, and I still feel like I have problems communicating. Like most
university courses, we've been drilling a lot of grammar, and it was a struggle to
begin talking in the language although we do have a Croatian conversation teacher who
tries to make us speak the language. Still, it's not perfect :\ Understanding spoken
language is still a problem for me.

Although I'm not a beginner any more, I think about what I could have done differently
or what could have helped me in the beginning.

For the conversation part, I wish I'd tried out Pimsleur when I started learning. There
is a 30 lesson Croatian Pimsleur out there, and I'd try to see if I could get it
somehow. I know it's expensive, but maybe there's a library that has it or something...
There's no Michel Thomas Croatian/Serbian course, but we'll have to take that up with
them...

I think many professors are against these kinds of materials, but maybe something like
a phrasebook might help. I would have liked to know some of these practical phrases
when I started instead of some of the more crazy texts in Alexander. There's one about
cats and dogs talking to each other which is just absolutely crazy...

Also, I'd check out other materials as well. Alexander is loaded with grammar, and the
way it progresses might not fit everyone. I was looking at Colloquial and Teach
Yourself also, and I felt Colloquial looked good. Many words, etc. Maybe it's something
to consider...

Something that might be nice as well would be to find a language exchange partner. Many
people want to learn English (or maybe French?), so if you could find someone to
practice your Croatian with in exchange for another language, that might work as well.
You should probably have a 50/50 agreement or similar, so you spend equal amounts of
time on each language.
I often see people looking for language partners at the university, so maybe you could
try that?

Also, you could start a language log here, writing small messages in Croatian for other
people to correct, and also detailing your progress so far. I've seen other people do
it, and it might help you practice... I thought of doing it myself, but we'll have to
see...

Watching TV sounds fine, since you'll get more used to hearing the language. I'd
wish I had TV from that area where I live...

Also, if you have any questions about grammar, feel free to ask... I would do my
best to answer any questions I know the answer to, as I'm sure others would...

Pozdrav iz Danske!

Edited by Danac on 20 August 2010 at 11:20pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Adrean
TAC 2010 Winner
France
adrean83.wordpress.c
Joined 5978 days ago

348 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: FrenchC1

Message 5 of 10
20 August 2010 at 10:54pm | IP Logged 
I thought I could offer some tips on some things I have actually done.

First of all I know of this website which is free and gives you a chance for language exchanges. I have met quite a few people this way. Although I haven't looked up if Croatia is available.

Another thing to do would be to find some part time work. Perhaps a voluntering job for the rest of the summer or something. Maybe you could ask for jobs in a restaurant. You could earn a little money and learn at the same time.

These things I have tried and can recommend them to you.

leosmith
United States
Joined 6360 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 6 of 10
21 August 2010 at 2:12am | IP Logged 
I'm going to echo what another has said - you are doing enough on your own, and assume what you really want is
conversation practice. I don't know about your level, but understand in the first 100 hours or so of studies, it's going to be
really hard on a conversation partner to try to converse with you 50/50 in your target language. I'm going to assume you
have had at least that much training.

Since you put "homestays" in the title of the thread, l'll just say a few words about them first. I've stayed in many language
learning homestays (perhaps a dozen) in my life but can only remember 2 where I actually felt immersed/accepted as a
family member. Generally, the difference between a homestay and a hotel are a handful of greetings and a few minutes of
conversation at dinner every day. If you are a bit of a recluse like me, this and the fact that they are usually cheaper often
make it worth while to stay in one.

Some places are hard or even impossible to find homestays in, especially for short stays. That's unfortunate in a way, but it
has forced me to come up with better ways to meet language partners.
1) Find a language exchange service in the town you are staying and post a request for a partner. I think there is such a
center in every major city in Japan, for example, that is not affiliated with schools, etc. Every time I go to Japan, I find the
language center, post my ad, and have as many partners as I want.
2) Post your request on any bulletin board in a uni, especially one that has an English department, where you are staying.
Every time I go to China I do this, and get tons of language partners. Some unis have language exchange bulletin boards
too, so practice your skills and find out where it is.
3) Approach students, or people who look approachable and interesting, and tell them that you are interested in language
exchange. I've had great luck with people lying out on lawns, peacefully reading books. Or just walk down the street and
greet some random person who interests you in their native tongue. If they pause to smile, take the opportunity to ask
them for language exchange. This is how I met my girlfriend in the Shanghai subway. And if you like bars, this is the
perfect excuse to approach someone with.

Usually I try to make language exchange appointments on these excursions, so I'm always be ready to trade cell phone
numbers/emails. It also helps to have your schedule with you. On the other hand, some will want to talk right away, so
having some free time and a little flexibility is a good thing.

4) Use the internet to meet partners. Just because you are in your host country, don't discount this method. I've found that
most internet partners want to stick to skype, msn, etc. And that's ok too. But occasionally I meet people in their host
country after finding them on language exchange websites. I suggest you use this as more of a last resort, mainly because
it is harder to get people to meet in person, and it doesn't "bring you out of your shell" as much as the other options.

I'm going to suggest that you be picky with your language partners. Beggars can't be choosers, but the above options
should get you plenty of partners. Find people who you are comfortable talking with. For me that means people who
concentrate on communication instead of correcting my grammar all the time. Also, I like people who are willing to let me
talk 50% of the time. I don't like aggressive partners. For those reasons, about 90% of my partners over the years have
been female. Other things to consider - is their accent standard, or not unnaturally difficult to understand? Is he/she
interesting? Do you have fun together? Meet lots of partners, get picky, and just hang out with the cream of the crop.

2 persons have voted this message useful

lecorbeau
Diglot
Croatia
Joined 5830 days ago

113 posts - 149 votes 

Message 7 of 10
25 August 2010 at 10:38am | IP Logged 
I posted my ad for a language partner and received a FLOOD of responses. I couldn't believe it. I've met with two
people already (though in both cases their English far exceeded my Croatian, but that was to be expected!) and will
be meeting with people throughout this week and next. I am really hoping these develop into long-term
arrangements.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

3 persons have voted this message useful

lecorbeau
Diglot
Croatia
Joined 5830 days ago

113 posts - 149 votes 

Message 8 of 10
28 September 2010 at 11:28am | IP Logged 
Any other pearls of wisdom? My language partners are dying off one by one (with a few notable exceptions) and my internship with an international NGO (meaning the operative language is unfortunately/necessarily English) has begun. Gulp! I have Croatian classes every day for 3 hours for the rest of the year...but I doubt that's enough.

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version