zekecoma
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5122 days ago

561 posts - 655 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 1 of 8
22 August 2010 at 2:26am | IP Logged 
I've been using my Ultimate German book for a couple of weeks. Recently I haven't been
using it for the past couple of days since I've gotten my Assimil book. I planned to
use them together so I don't wonder off and what not. But now when I started learning
new words from my Ultimate German book, I used to couple have the 30 something words
memorised almost perfectly after a few couple of days. Now, that I started trying to
memorise the words (first go at the new words). It just seems like it's not connecting
with me any more.

I usually just look at the words in a book for about 20 minutes then take a break for
10 minutes and try learning it in Parley. If I was sure of the word I'd keep hitting
the hint button still I grasp it and store it in my brain and keep doing it over and
over until I finished, mostly getting 85% - 90% now it's like 30% with the new words. I
don't understand what is going on.

I'm easily memorising the words pretty great in Assimil.
1 person has voted this message useful

ThisIsGina
Groupie
United Kingdom
languageblogbygina.w
Joined 5096 days ago

56 posts - 72 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Romanian, Catalan, Greek, German, French

Message 2 of 8
22 August 2010 at 2:52pm | IP Logged 
Have you tried using Anki? It's a really great software. I'm not normally very good with memorising vocabulary either, but I find Anki very effective.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5789 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 3 of 8
22 August 2010 at 5:44pm | IP Logged 
Does Ultimate German give lists of vocabulary, like colours or whatever? If so, that might be the problem. Lists aren't language!

Assimil doesn't (often) give themed lists, so you're only attempting to learn individual words that you have seen in the dialogues.

If UG is presenting you with lists, the problem isn't you, it's the course.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Lesuhorve
United States
WWW.LESUHORVE.COM
Joined 4999 days ago

9 posts - 5 votes

Message 4 of 8
22 August 2010 at 7:06pm | IP Logged 
dear zekecoma German and English are sister languages ,and by learning cognate elements between the two languages you can learn German quite fast and easily

zekecoma
Joined 5122 days ago

561 posts - 655 votes 

Message 5 of 8
22 August 2010 at 9:38pm | IP Logged 
@Cainntear: It gives it at the end of the lesson after the dialogue at the beginning then
the rules of the language then the vocabulary at the end.

michaelmichael
Canada
Joined 5035 days ago

167 posts - 202 votes 
Studies: French

Message 6 of 8
23 August 2010 at 7:07am | IP Logged 
I am not sure why you were once able to remember 30 words perfectly, and now are encountering trouble, assuming that you haven't changed anything.

In my case, the words that i can't seem to remember seem to also correlated with words i have trouble pronouncing, or when the few new words i put in my list have similar spelling. The remedy to my first problem is putting the IPA and the audio with the card. When i get it wrong, if i focus on pronunciation and the IPA for 30 seconds, my chances of retaining the word is pretty high. As for the similar spelling, i haven't really come up with a solution, but while typing this, i figured i could take a paper and write out the similar looking words together.

How fast do you flip when you get the word wrong ?

zekecoma
Joined 5122 days ago

561 posts - 655 votes 

Message 7 of 8
23 August 2010 at 7:18am | IP Logged 
Well since I don't do it on actual notecards but rather via computer programme. It's
completely random. So if I get one wrong, I don't know when I will randomly get it again
in the current session (I don't use Anki).

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5338 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 8 of 8
23 August 2010 at 11:17am | IP Logged 
OK, me first. I recently tried using Anki for a few months with a downloaded deck. I
was aware everyone says you need to learn in context, and make your own deck, but I
just wanted to test it for myself. After a few months, I had pretty much confirmed it
wasn't working, so I thought I would start thinking up sentences with the words to aid
memorisation. At which point I realised that the words I had been trying to learn, I
wasn't actually confident enough of their meaning (based on the single word translation
I had) to make up a sentence, so it really was no surprise that I hadn't been able to
learn them.

So, getting back to you, are you sure you're doing the lessons as diligently as
previously, so you are confident of your understanding of the usage of the word before
you try to memorise it?

Edited by schoenewaelder on 23 August 2010 at 11:20am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version