Egypt
Joined 4699 days ago

16 posts - 17 votes
Speaks: Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: English

Message 65 of 119
20 June 2011 at 11:13pm | IP Logged 
Hi
Yeah, maybe you're right, but B1 at writing (which I'm also have doubts about it), anyway I'll start
from Elementary level at English In Use Series with two books about conversations and writing :)
because I think that my conversational level is horrible!:D
1 person has voted this message useful

Kisfroccs
Bilingual Pentaglot
Switzerland
Joined 5190 days ago

388 posts - 549 votes 
Speaks: French*, German*, EnglishC1, Swiss-German, Hungarian
Studies: Italian, Serbo-Croatian

Message 66 of 119
26 June 2011 at 6:29pm | IP Logged 
-

Edited by Kisfroccs on 27 August 2014 at 11:22pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Kisfroccs
Bilingual Pentaglot
Switzerland
Joined 5190 days ago

388 posts - 549 votes 

Message 67 of 119
03 July 2011 at 9:30pm | IP Logged 
-

Edited by Kisfroccs on 27 August 2014 at 11:23pm

Kisfroccs
Bilingual Pentaglot
Switzerland
Joined 5190 days ago

388 posts - 549 votes 

Message 68 of 119
11 July 2011 at 11:53am | IP Logged 
Hello everyone !

Magyar A2
I'm in Budapest !!! :). Today will be my first "course" of Magyar. I take lessons at the Debreceni Nyari Egyetem in Budapest and as I arrived a week late, I hadn't a placement test, so I went to the beginner course. There are 3 levels, and my teacher said I wasn't a beginner anymore and placed me in the medium courses, which are hold this afternoon. More news about that tomorrow, but I can see that they make us talk a lot. That's fine for me.

So far, the first thing that I noticed is that everytime someone talked to me, they did it in Magyar. I was at the family of my boyfriend, talked a lot with his sister, his father and his mother. They were all very sweet and nice, and made me practice a bit Hungarian with the Memory card game, pointing things at me and I had to say what it was. Or always asking me questions in Hungarian.

I was also filled with Hungarian food, paprika salad (mmh :)), palinka and wine. I really like Hungarian food.

My progress :

- I bought mainly food, that was no problem, in Hungarian
- I asked my way in Hungarian
- I managed to take the metro and the bus without being lost (coming from a little village, this is an achievement)
- I talked to various person in Hungarian about basic things without too much trouble
- I could say how I feel...

Compliments :

- aranyos volt (das war goldig)
- de tudsz magyarul ! (aber, du kannst ja Ungarisch !)
:)

Not so good :
- I'm sunburnt, még faj !
- It really hot, like 37 - 42°C... "Hitzeallarm"

So, I have to go. It's really fun here, my dream comes true ! More the next days

Kisfröccs
2 persons have voted this message useful

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5130 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 69 of 119
11 July 2011 at 12:37pm | IP Logged 
That sounds like such a great language experience, I have to do that one day too.

1 person has voted this message useful

Kisfroccs
Bilingual Pentaglot
Switzerland
Joined 5190 days ago

388 posts - 549 votes 

Message 70 of 119
14 July 2011 at 11:18am | IP Logged 
-

Edited by Kisfroccs on 28 August 2014 at 11:40am

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6937 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 71 of 119
14 July 2011 at 5:09pm | IP Logged 
Ahhh, Szimpla Kert... old memories for me from Budapest :-) I smile when I read your observations about downtown Budapest and let my mind wander back to when I was last walking from Vörösmarty tér to Déak tér to meet my friends just because it was where all of the subway lines meet or enjoying the walk on Andrássy út to Hősök tere. I also remember when my friend took me to Gerbeaud, and I agree about the prices. I thought that it too was charging too much for pastry and coffee even though I'm not from Hungary. The tour guides I can't totally understand either. There's not much point paying that much money for 3-4 hours of touring in Budapest when you could do it by yourself. All that you need is a small map, a sunny day and a small camera (I kind of snicker at visitors who carry those big cameras and wear fanny packs). Besides a city like Budapest is best explored slowly since it's so big and it has so many attractions for a new visitor. A private tour would make me feel as if I were a boy on a school-trip since I'd have to follow some stranger for the day and do activities that the guide has chosen.

I understand your problem with people's expectations. I had a Hungarian plumber come to my home not long ago and he was delighted to find out that I had gone to Hungary and had learned some Hungarian. Naturally we started to chat in Hungarian and the discussion slowly switched to Hungarian cuisine. Even though I spoke in simple sentences, he replied at his native speed and started describing his recipe for lecsó (we really like that dish). Unfortunately I didn't get all of the details and a few times had to smile and nod. Apparently my focus on Hungarian grammar and imitating natives' pronunciation during my studies have got me to the point where my grammatically correct but simple sentences and lack of a noticeable non-Hungarian accent made him think that I was just as fluent as he. I only wish that were true!

Tök jó, hogy nagyon jól érzed magad. Csak így tovább, Zsófi!

Kisfroccs
Bilingual Pentaglot
Switzerland
Joined 5190 days ago

388 posts - 549 votes 

Message 72 of 119
15 July 2011 at 11:16am | IP Logged 
Hi

The last sunday, I had some strange experience. I wanted to take the bus in the center, as I live 30 minutes away and can't walk. Well, the weekdays are called "workdays" = munkanap, but they are for every day a description of the scheduled arriving of the bus. Well, for sunday, I naturally searched for the word "sunday" = vasárnap"... as I couldn't find it, I went to take the tram, which took really some time to come into town. I thought... okay, on sunday, there aren't any buses...

I explained my situation to a friend, and he laughed :). I should have searched for the word "munkaünnep" = workfree....

Here a usefull song : Oláh Ibolya- Baby ( El merem mondani) .

Sziasztok

Kisfröccs

Edited by Kisfroccs on 06 October 2011 at 11:15am

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 119 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version