Tags: Time to learn
 Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
27 messages over 4 pages: 1 24  Next >>
apparition
Octoglot
United States
Joined 6410 days ago

600 posts - 667 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), French, Arabic (Iraqi), Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Pashto

Message 17 of 27
28 August 2010 at 3:21pm | IP Logged 
Several hours a day at work. It's also my favorite hobby and entertainment, so it all
adds up to fairly constant study.
1 person has voted this message useful

darkwhispersdal
Wales
Joined 5800 days ago

294 posts - 363 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Ancient Greek, French, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Mandarin, Japanese, Latin

Message 18 of 27
28 August 2010 at 8:49pm | IP Logged 
Usually I manage one hour in work every day during breaks and about 30min to one hour at home in the evenings. On weekends I can do between two hours to five depending on Open University work, family commitments, other hobbies, sports, etc.

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5865 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Studies: Polish

Message 19 of 27
28 August 2010 at 10:23pm | IP Logged 
About 4 -5 hours a day during the week, less at the weekends.
2 hours > audio drills (Pimsleur, Polish Conversation CDs, Polish Radio)
1 hour > course work (Po Polsku 1, Colloquial Polish)
1 hour > grammar (Basic Polish by Dana Bielec)
1 hour > vocabulary

Plus reading Polish forums online.
It's amazing how fast 5 hours study can pass.
What I crave is conversational practice with my Polish friends...but they all want to
speak English !!

luhmann
Brazil
Joined 5093 days ago

156 posts - 271 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: Mandarin, French, English, Italian, Spanish, Persian, Arabic (classical)

Message 20 of 27
29 August 2010 at 12:23am | IP Logged 
If I can't maintain about 4 hours a day I have lots of trouble getting started at all. ] find hard do get motivated if I can only afford about one hour a day -- I seem to learn, proportionally, a lot less, and I don't have time to watch tv series, which are my favourite language nourishment.

But I really have get myself to study everyday, even if it is just a little bit.

Mountain Goat
Diglot
Denmark
Joined 5126 days ago

10 posts - 15 votes
Speaks: Danish*, English
Studies: Pashto
Studies: Urdu

Message 21 of 27
29 August 2010 at 12:59am | IP Logged 
I've really hit somewhat of a low point. :( Before the summer holidays I was actually doing very well, sometimes clocking up to 4 hours a day. This was going on a few weeks before my final exam of the semester, mind you. Two factors played a role in this: 1. I had just received a lot of new, exciting language materials 2. I was procrastinating a lot in the face of the impending exam, using time on the language instead.

The problem is that I haven't been able to motivate myself during the vacation. I went travelling for a month after the exam and, fair enough, I didn't get any studies done then. But the last few weeks I've been home and had every chance to sit down and learn a bit. Instead I've been procrastinating, putting it off.

In the meantime I have 250 Anki reviews due and my semester is starting Monday which means I'll have less time for language studies. I think I'll just need to start slowly chucking away at Anki and setting off an hour a day for studies. Maybe even less, I think the more important thing is that you study every day, and not the amount of time you study every day.

Better to study 30 min a day than 3 hours one day and then not doing anything for the rest of the week.

leosmith
United States
Joined 6310 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Studies: Tagalog

Message 22 of 27
29 August 2010 at 7:46am | IP Logged 
michaelmichael wrote:
i was specifically interested in success stories of people who only studied approximatley
30 minutes a day

This poll seems
to indicate that most people on this forum believe 30 min/day is not enough to reach fluency.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5409 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 23 of 27
29 August 2010 at 3:13pm | IP Logged 
Aside from music and TV, probably 30-60 minutes in both languages every day.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6463 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 24 of 27
29 August 2010 at 7:16pm | IP Logged 
I have spent several hours today just mapping the derivations based on the root "пис" in Russian (as in "писать", write). One thing is ordinary learning, but when you get the idea to a 'project' then the time flies. Reading a good book or magazine can have the same effect.

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version