Joined 5038 days ago

167 posts - 202 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 25 of 27
29 August 2010 at 8:45pm | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
michaelmichael wrote:
i was specifically interested in success stories of people who only studied approximatley
30 minutes a day

This poll seems
to indicate that most people on this forum believe 30 min/day is not enough to reach fluency.

Yes, your thread came at a very good time for me, since we are interested in the same thing. I timed my assimil regime, and i can do it in 45 minutes if i push myself. The 30-45 minute thing is only devoted quiet time. In addition, I will take my ipod everywhere, and will loop pimsleur or FSI. I am more than half way through pimsleur, and I bought a number of ipod accessories to use it during every spare moment; Arm band for the gym, and tape adapter for the car.

Iversen wrote:
I have spent several hours today just mapping the derivations based on the root "пис" in Russian (as in "писать", write). One thing is ordinary learning, but when you get the idea to a 'project' then the time flies. Reading a good book or magazine can have the same effect.

I wish your example had something to do with french, but I understand what you mean by spending a few hours on concepts. I enjoyed reading all the cases for all the verb tenses for example. By derivations, I suppose that means morphological changes that alter lexical class or meaning ? I never explicitly studied that for french, just -ment explicitly (adjective --> adverb), though I have noticed some verbs take an -eur to become the noun. Maybe I should spend some time studying that, but I already have an intuitive feeling of the endings by using a flash card program where you have to spell the word (does anki have this feature too ?). I read about your green papers in one of your guides, but I don't think I really understood how you studied or organized morphological changes, it seems like the kind of stuff that's hard to memorize, and I memorized the french IPA !

justberta wrote:
I don't study.

Awesome, I wish i had such innate talent !!!

garyb/zekecoma

Seems like a lot of people will still be able to put in a lot of hours. Even if it's because of unemployment, I am jealous. I am a student, but I didn't work this summer, and I am also thinking of not working next summer in order to study french. I am aware that unemployment and lots of free time can lead to depression, but I know the long term pay off will be very rewarding and enriching.

Edited by michaelmichael on 30 August 2010 at 5:21am

1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6484 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 26 of 27
29 August 2010 at 10:38pm | IP Logged 
michaelmichael wrote:

Iversen wrote:
I have spent several hours today just mapping the derivations based on the root "пис" in Russian (...)

I wish your example had something to do with french, but I understand what you mean by spending a few hours on concepts. I enjoyed reading all the cases for all the verb tenses for example. By derivations, I suppose that means morphological changes that alter lexical class or meaning ?

The kind of derivations I'm speaking about would be something like écrire/écrivain/écriture/... in French, - except that it is put more in system in Russian. The point is that you can break off in the middle of a wordlist or a book (unless it is extremely exciting!). But when something becomes a 'project' then you get so absorbed in that activity that you just continue till it's finished or you have to run for the bus or you fall asleep. And those episodes are one of the things that make it impossible for me to stick to a timetable.

Edited by Iversen on 29 August 2010 at 10:40pm

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4988 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 27 of 27
30 August 2010 at 3:09am | IP Logged 
michaelmichael wrote:
I am aware that unemployment and lots of free time can lead to depression, but I know the long term pay off will be very rewarding and enriching.

Trust me I'm very much enjoying all the free time and doubt I'll get depressed any time soon. I'm learning a ton of French, my guitar playing's improving noticeably, I'm fitter and stronger than ever since I have the time to go to the gym frequently and get enough sleep to recover properly, my social life is great since I can stay out late and not have to get up early the next morning, and I'm generally enjoying a relaxed lifestyle. In fact it's so good that it's almost putting me off finding a job! But no job means very little money which means not much chance to travel abroad and actually make use of the languages I'm learning...

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version