Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
Keesjansma3
Netherlands
Joined 4988 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes

Message 1 of 2
23 August 2010 at 7:57pm | IP Logged 
Hello,

I want to learn Spanish and already did some basic stuff from other sources but I'm thinking about doing FSI Spanish the Basic Spanish course from the Foreign Service Insitute.

I have some questions about it. I hope someone can answer them.

One of the things I'd like to know is did you use the book? And if so, how?

I'm asking this question because the book(s) uses a stupid phonetic script which In my opinion can only be detrimental for your learning. I would like to use the book for all the explanations etc. but I fear that reading this script a lot may mess your spelling up. Did you find some way around this? Or am I unnecessarily woried?

Also, I have seen that Loquella also offer the FSI course. Is Loquella's audio quality significantly better than the original?

Thank you
Kees

1 person has voted this message useful

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5341 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 2 of 2
23 August 2010 at 9:56pm | IP Logged 
I've just stumbled upon the loquella site myself today.

The first three lessons seem to be free online. The audio quality does seem to be a little
better. The Spanish FSI was one of the better ones already. In the online version, they've
edited out the English narrator's voice, which was always the tinniest sounding bit, and
replaced it with some written instructions. I don't know how they deal with this in the
download version.

I really like the interface/player on the site. It just plays it one drill/sentence at a
time, and the only controls are repeat, next, or back. I like simple things.
1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version