Germany
Joined 5031 days ago

21 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French

Message 1 of 14
25 August 2010 at 9:30pm | IP Logged 
I just had an idea and would like to get some feedback on it:
I'm learning French right now and would like to concentrate on Japanese once I understand french tv and radio. How about using french learning material for the next language? Like "le japonaise sans peine"?
I think, this would help keeping the freshly acquired French active and I also learn a new language. Or would I distort my understanding of Japanese if I have this additional "translation" between my native tongue and my target language?
Any comments are greatly appreciated.
1 person has voted this message useful

michaelmichael
Canada
Joined 5039 days ago

167 posts - 202 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 2 of 14
25 August 2010 at 10:09pm | IP Logged 
Harder wrote:
I'm learning French right now and would like to concentrate on Japanese once I understand french tv and radio. How about using french learning material for the next language? Like "le japonaise sans peine"?
I think, this would help keeping the freshly acquired French active and I also learn a new language. Or would I distort my understanding of Japanese if I have this additional "translation" between my native tongue and my target language?

Sounds like a great idea, provided you become proficient enough in french.
heh, maybe I'll learn Spanish in french... but that is a long way off.

feanarosurion
Canada
Joined 5063 days ago

217 posts - 316 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish, Norwegian

Message 3 of 14
26 August 2010 at 9:15am | IP Logged 
Well, that's my plan for Swedish, once my Finnish is practically native level. I don't actually want to be learning any other language until my Finnish is at that point, and once that happens, I think learning another language through Finnish would be a good way to exercise it. I might not do it for the whole thing either, or I might start in English. I'll see. But there are plenty of Swedish materials in Finnish because it's the other official language of Finland, so I probably won't have a problem on that end. Still, that's very far away for sure. 4 or 5 years at least. It's definitely my plan though.

eumiro
Bilingual Octoglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 5056 days ago

74 posts - 102 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, Slovak*, French, English, German, Polish, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Italian, Hungarian

Message 4 of 14
26 August 2010 at 12:30pm | IP Logged 
Benefit from the offer of language resources and your knowledge of an L2. While reading French explanations of the Japanese language, you will realize the similarities/differences of French with German and this will even help your understanding of the French language.

Although my mother tongue is Czech/Slovak, I am living in Germany and therefore it is much easier for me to find German resources to learn Hungarian or Russian (i.e. Assimil courses and bilingual literature in the local library)

re4lover
Groupie
Egypt
Joined 5219 days ago

63 posts - 66 votes 
Speaks: Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: English, Russian, Modern Hebrew, Aramaic

Message 5 of 14
26 August 2010 at 4:46pm | IP Logged 
I think It's possible! ,
but with hard study for french , I'm using this way to learn Russian although I have my resources but I prefer that , maybe because I learned a lot about English from school and TV serials but totally you can do it if you want , like and obsess about both languages (french / Japanese)

Robbie,

Harder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5031 days ago

21 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: German*, English

Message 6 of 14
26 August 2010 at 10:00pm | IP Logged 
Alright - getting a French course for Japanese should be relatively easy. Thank you all for your answers. You really give me hope that I can manage this =)

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5163 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 7 of 14
26 August 2010 at 10:09pm | IP Logged 
Interestingly, French is my first language, but I studied Japanese almost exclusively through English material. On the one hand, lots of English words were borrowed into Japanese, but most importantly, the amount of material available in English is staggering -- so much so that it probably outnumbers material produced in all other languages put together.

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5738 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 

Message 8 of 14
27 August 2010 at 12:02am | IP Logged 
Harder wrote:

Hi Harder,

I think there is a lot of merit in what you propose. This has been referred to as "laddering" by others on this forum in the past. There are some earlier threads which discussed the merits of this that explored the benefits and disadvantages of this approach in some detail, which may be of interest to you in addition to the present comments.

I have not tried this approach myself, but I would definitely consider giving it a go once I get my French up to speed.   My expectation is that it would be good review and maintenance for L2, but your acquisition of L3 will be slowed somewhat depending on how strong your L2 may be.

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version