Groupie
Australia
Joined 5005 days ago

81 posts - 82 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Latin

Message 9 of 14
29 August 2010 at 4:58am | IP Logged 
What about if i learnt French, from Assimil for example, using the material wrote in Italian? Given that i had just
learnt Italian, and had done the Assimil course for Italian but in English, making me familliar with the method of
learning.
There are such similarities between the two, would i not get confused? Or would this actually be better then doing
it in English as i could make connections and so go faster?

Edited by vexx on 29 August 2010 at 5:02am

1 person has voted this message useful

Merv
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5060 days ago

414 posts - 749 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbo-Croatian*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 10 of 14
29 August 2010 at 5:24am | IP Logged 
vexx wrote:
What about if i learnt French, from Assimil for example, using the material wrote in Italian? Given
that i had just
learnt Italian, and had done the Assimil course for Italian but in English, making me familliar with the method of
learning.
There are such similarities between the two, would i not get confused? Or would this actually be better then doing
it in English as i could make connections and so go faster?

I'm not sure Assimil is strong enough to give you the foundation to properly understand all of the Italian in the
translation, but you could certainly try. On the other hand, the English>French and French>English Assimil
programs are likely the oldest and strongest, so you can't go wrong learning French using the English Assimil and
then use your knowledge of French for other languages.

vexx
Groupie
Australia
Joined 5005 days ago

81 posts - 82 votes 

Message 11 of 14
29 August 2010 at 5:26am | IP Logged 
^ Assimil was just an example, my question was focused at using materials wrote in Italian (after just learning
italian) to learn French, it was
just the only one i knew of was Assimil.

Edited by vexx on 29 August 2010 at 5:51am

vexx
Groupie
Australia
Joined 5005 days ago

81 posts - 82 votes 

Message 12 of 14
30 August 2010 at 5:18am | IP Logged 
anyone?

eumiro
Bilingual Octoglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 5061 days ago

74 posts - 102 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, Slovak*, French, English, German, Polish, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Italian, Hungarian

Message 13 of 14
30 August 2010 at 8:30am | IP Logged 
vexx wrote:
Assimil was just an example, my question was focused at using materials wrote in Italian (after just learning Italian) to learn French, it was just the only one i knew of was Assimil.

You can just risk, that since Italian and French are very related, the Italian textbook of French will explain many areas of the French grammar/vocabulary, which are new to you as an English-speaking person, just with words: "This is exactly like in Italian, so it is easy for you and we won't explain it in depth." and now you have to figure out, how it is in Italian...

Otherwise, learn L3 through L2 is what I do all the time, since there are many more materials in EN/FR/DE to learn other languages than in CZ/SK.

vexx
Groupie
Australia
Joined 5005 days ago

81 posts - 82 votes 

Message 14 of 14
30 August 2010 at 2:31pm | IP Logged 
eumiro wrote:

You can just risk, that since Italian and French are very related, the Italian textbook of French will explain many
areas of the French grammar/vocabulary, which are new to you as an English-speaking person, just with words:
"This is exactly like in Italian, so it is easy for you and we won't explain it in depth." and now you have to figure
out, how it is in Italian...

Otherwise, learn L3 through L2 is what I do all the time, since there are many more materials in EN/FR/DE to
learn other languages than in CZ/SK.

Thanks for reply.
Yeah it would be much easier for you just not sure how i'd go about Italian/French or even French/Spanish or
Italian/Spanish (most related) and if i'd get confused. But that could occur reading something in Italian and
having to look that up in English, but then it teaches both L2 and L3.. Still not sure if it's just better to do the
courses in English..

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version