jasoninchina
China
Joined 5016 days ago

221 posts - 306 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin, Italian

Message 1 of 3
27 August 2010 at 5:49am | IP Logged 
A few weeks ago I watched a video on youtube from a polyglot who recommended to the viewers that we should use a childrens encyclopedia as part of our study regimen. I recently bought one and I am enjoying it thus far. I was also fortunate to find one with an audio component.I find that the childrens encyclopedia uses clear and plain language, which not only makes it easy to understand but also easy to learn from.

Has anyone else found childrens encyclopedia's to be helpful? I would definitely recommend everyone to get one if they don't already have one.
1 person has voted this message useful

magister
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6388 days ago

346 posts - 421 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Turkish, Irish
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 3
31 August 2010 at 11:02pm | IP Logged 
I used one a couple of years ago for my nascent Turkish studies. It was helpful, certainly, but no more so than any nonfiction work aimed at a younger audience. I suspect a good number of experienced language learners in the pre-Internet days relied on children's nonfiction for reading practice -- I definitely did. Many of us were anxious to leave the artificial textbook environment as soon as possible, and children's (or young adult) nonfiction is a great way to gain reading practice. Here at my school, my Spanish- and Mandarin-teaching colleagues offer tons of this type of material in their classrooms for "free reading time."

Nowadays, of course, the Internet is like one big encyclopedia. Google a couple of strategically placed keywords in your target language and you'll uncover reams of native material directed at youngsters.
2 persons have voted this message useful

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4992 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 3 of 3
03 September 2010 at 1:45pm | IP Logged 
I didn't think of this before, it's a good idea! Try going onto Google for your target language and searching for childrens' encyclopedias. I searched for "encyclopédie pour enfants" on google.fr and found a few "Wikipedia for children" sites.

On a similar note, it's worth looking for satirical encyclopedias along the lines of Uncyclopedia, Encyclopedia Dramatica, etc. to get some experience with slang and humour. I found http://desencyclopedie.wikia.com/wiki/Accueil and I'm sure there's similar ones in other languages.

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version