Diglot
United States
Joined 5135 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 9 of 13
28 August 2010 at 1:28pm | IP Logged 
Thank you to both Elexi and HobbitofNY. I have been trying to sort out what makes up the Linguaphone offerings for a little while. I am glad to hear the advanced course is of the more traditional style. It is hard to tell what is in these courses so your input is much appreciated. For some reason I never saw the USA Linguaphone website... I always ended up at the European one. I will watch ebay and see if one of the advanced Spanish classes pops up.
1 person has voted this message useful

CSIII
United States
Joined 5049 days ago

8 posts - 9 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Arabic (Written)

Message 10 of 13
28 August 2010 at 4:48pm | IP Logged 
Thanks Elexi for the additional information. I didn't have any idea of this.

So, if the Plus course only contains 2 VHS video cassettes of basic travel style phrases in news program format, then what I am seeing for sale that contains 14 cassettes is the Basic course and the Advanced course. Some sets do not state videos, so if they don't contain videos, they don't contain the Plus course. Correct?

Elexi wrote:
The 'Plus' course contained the 90s variant of the course....

From this, I infer that the Plus course was added in the 1990s.

Now, this brings me to another question: With all of other "vintage or classic" learning resources available to us namely Hugo's In Three Months series with cassettes (1970-1980), Berlitz Self Teacher (1949-1950), Berlitz Comprehensive (up to 1970 is still older 1955-65 version), Cortina (new comprehensive courses Prof. A. and others here seems to like), etc., do I really need the advanced Linguaphone. Does it add that much to the basic course? I ask because I haven't seen that many advanced Linguaphone sets available for sale and when they are available they are either incomplete or in less than acceptable shape or really expensive. Maybe it's best to just use the basic Linguaphone course then move to another different course/method. Any thoughts?

Addendum: I understand that one should always use multiple approaches to learning a language and not just one course/method.

Edited by CSIII on 29 August 2010 at 7:41am

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5325 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 11 of 13
28 August 2010 at 5:34pm | IP Logged 
I have the 14 cassette course for German and French (1 'how to use' cassette', the 4 books and 9 cassette of the 'basic' dialogue course and the 4 books and 4 cassettes of the second stage or advanced course). I would say that the second stage is a nice course, but it is not a necessary course. To be honest, I haven't actually done them yet but as I got them for about the same price that most 90s Linguaphone courses go for I was very pleased.

I would recommend Linguaphone though.

CSIII
United States
Joined 5049 days ago

8 posts - 9 votes

Message 12 of 13
28 August 2010 at 5:44pm | IP Logged 
Not to confuse things but I just saw a couple of sets that are different than the ones that we discussed:

What seems to be a 1970s Arabic set that contained 4 cassettes and 5 books (not just the 3 books).

A Linguaphone French set that contained 6 cassettes (not 4, not 9 or 10 but 6) and 4 books?

Both sets fit neatly in their fitted open ended cases - they were not loose pieces of incomplete sets.

Any ideas about these different set configurations?

Edited by CSIII on 28 August 2010 at 5:53pm

CSIII
United States
Joined 5049 days ago

8 posts - 9 votes

Message 13 of 13
28 August 2010 at 5:58pm | IP Logged 
CD set: There are CD sets out there that contain 8 CDs and three books all color-coded, and 1 orange PDQ CD with a corresponding orange PDQ book all in an open case (total 9 CDs and 4 books). I believe that the PDQ is the basic course and the others the advanced course.

This set configuration is a different from the Linguaphone CD sets that Elexi mentioned. How is this set? Is it as comprehensive as the 14 cassette course of the 1990s or more a phrase book type course?

Edited by CSIII on 28 August 2010 at 5:59pm

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version