Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
ShawnW
United States
Joined 4985 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes

Message 1 of 5
27 August 2010 at 10:14am | IP Logged 
Greetings,

I work at an English training center in China, and we are using the "Ellis" software for teaching students English. However, the "courseware" is outdate and not very good. I was hoping someone else could recommend a better courseware.

I am interested in "Tell Me More" due to the level division. However, you have to purchase the courseware license PER STUDENT! Which is crazy, because it extends the time it takes to pay back your investors if you open a training center. If they charged per computer, I would be willing to pay a bit more.

If someone could let me know the name of a good English training program, or let me know how to purchase the Tell Me More student books directly, I would highly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Shawn
1 person has voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5793 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 2 of 5
27 August 2010 at 1:39pm | IP Logged 
Most computer packages are all presentation, no content.

If the software was any good, they wouldn't need to come to your school, would they?
2 persons have voted this message useful

ShawnW
United States
Joined 4985 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes

Message 3 of 5
28 August 2010 at 8:14am | IP Logged 
Actually, there are many advantages to having a courseware to supplement classes. Even if you have a great courseware, it will never replace actual interaction. However, courseware does provide situational English practice, as well as grammar and vocabulary familiarization. By basing classes on material taught in a good courseware, it allows them to prepare, then gives you a chance to expand on that knowledge.

In addition, I live in China. And in China, it IS all about the presentation. If the school looks good, and is cutting edge, then more people will join. If your school is small and only uses a basic classroom environment, then students will often pass it over here. It's sad, but it is the unfortunate truth. I plan to utilize the best of both worlds.

Paskwc
Pentaglot
Canada
Joined 5459 days ago

450 posts - 624 votes 
Speaks: Hindi, Urdu*, Arabic (Levantine), French, English
Studies: Persian, Spanish

Message 4 of 5
28 August 2010 at 9:55am | IP Logged 
ShawnW wrote:

In addition, I live in China. And in China, it IS all about the presentation. If the
school looks good, and is cutting edge, then more people will join. If your school is
small and only uses a basic classroom environment, then students will often pass it over
here. It's sad, but it is the unfortunate truth.

This seems pose a slight dilemma. I'm with Caintear, meaning that I haven't yet seen
impressive software. That said, if your students insist on gimmicks, you don't really
have a choice. Why not just get the most colourful program possible? Also, just for my curiousity, how strict is copyright enforcement in China?

Edited by Paskwc on 28 August 2010 at 9:57am

ShawnW
United States
Joined 4985 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes

Message 5 of 5
29 August 2010 at 5:19am | IP Logged 
Copyright enforcement in China is non-existent. You can rip-off any program and use it, which is why Microsoft does not extensively market in China. However, I don't want to go that route. I would rather be legitimate.

As for programs, they are actually catching on outside of China. Some are gimmicks, true, but some are really quite good. They really can be a useful tool if you use them in conjunction with actual classes with teachers. It really depends on which program you get. Many industries are moving into the future, and I believe the education industry will, and needs to be, one of them.

Back on the topic of courseware, I have seen Ellis, Tell Me More, Rosetta, Pimsleur, English Discoveries, etc... and Tell Me More seems to be the best. It is up-to-date, and divided into clear levels. However, I need to get the coursebooks, and I cannot find them. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Shawn

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version