leosmith
United States
Joined 6353 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 1 of 17
28 August 2010 at 10:01am | IP Logged 
(warning - this is a codeine toothache induced poll; sorry if I ramble)
I'm interested in knowing what everyone thinks the minimum number of hours per year is, on an average,
required to learn a language to basic fluency as defined by this forum. By "hours" I mean total number of study
hours, which includes reviews, watching TV, movies, listening to music as well as more traditional study methods.

Let me try to explain why I'm curious. Lets say that approximately 1000 hours are required to learn Spanish. I
believe that if I study 20 hours a year for 50 years, I won't become fluent. That's probably not even enough to
reinforce itself and keep from being forgotten. On the other hand, I'm certain that 200 hours a year for 5 years is
plenty. It might not be optimum, but that's another story.

I'm studying 5 languages right now, 3 of which are below basic fluency. I know approximately how many hours I
can put in, and I'm curious to see how many more languages I can add. My reason for studying several languages
at once is that I seem to require several years for language to seep into my brain, even if I put in a very high
number of hours per year.
1 person has voted this message useful

crackpot
Triglot
Canada
Joined 6104 days ago

144 posts - 178 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 2 of 17
28 August 2010 at 2:56pm | IP Logged 
I agree that it takes in the range of 1000 hours to learn Spanish.

200 hours per year is about 4 hours per week. I voted for other because I find that I
need about 10 hours per week to improve at anything approaching a noticeable rate.

Everyone knows best how they themselves learn, so I'd say do what works for you. Having
said that, I prefer to get the hours in more quickly. I learned French in 1.5 years. I
was working and going to school at night. In a year and a half I took 7 college courses
and spent 700 hours with private tutors. My level took off and even now I can
understand practically everything on the radio after about 5 minutes of warm up time
even though I have only spoken French for 10 minutes in the last three years.

My Spanish is a different story. I started it about 2 and a half years ago and am still
trying to get to the same level as my French. The reason being that I am working, going
to university and am a single dad now. This really cuts down my time available for
studying. I have probably spent more time on Spanish than on French but because the
learning has not been intense enough in the end I haven't learned as much.

I hope this helps.

apparition
Octoglot
United States
Joined 6453 days ago

600 posts - 667 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), French, Arabic (Iraqi), Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Pashto

Message 3 of 17
28 August 2010 at 3:45pm | IP Logged 
It is better to focus on actual linguistic objectives (use of certain structures,
vocabulary words, etc) than to focus on hours spent. Time might be the easiest way
to measure your progress relative to the more essential, yet less quantitative factors,
but that does not make it the best guide.

Focusing on time creates the absurdity you mentioned above, that being of a learner
studying a language 20 hours a year for 50 years.

leosmith
United States
Joined 6353 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Studies: Tagalog

Message 4 of 17
28 August 2010 at 6:52pm | IP Logged 
apparition wrote:
It is better to focus on actual linguistic objectives (use of certain structures,
vocabulary words, etc) than to focus on hours spent.

I don't really understand you comment - how is this going to help me figure out how many languages I can study at
one time?

mikemike
Canada
Joined 5006 days ago

10 posts - 11 votes
Studies: French

Message 5 of 17
28 August 2010 at 8:44pm | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
apparition wrote:
vocabulary words, etc) than to focus on hours spent.

I don't really understand you comment - how is this going to help me figure out how many languages I can study at
one time?

What do you think of studying 1 language for 2 years, and then incorporating another language. You can then decrease the amount of hours in the first language, and devote more to the second. I think this is a more viable approach.
2 persons have voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5452 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 6 of 17
28 August 2010 at 8:44pm | IP Logged 
Focusing on time spent isn't as effective as focusing on objectives during studying.

Guido
Super Polyglot
ArgentinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6331 days ago

286 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, French, English, German, Italian, Portuguese, Norwegian, Catalan, Dutch, Swedish, Danish
Studies: Russian, Indonesian, Romanian, Polish, Icelandic

Message 7 of 17
28 August 2010 at 9:27pm | IP Logged 
I voted for "other". For me, that means "700 hours per year" (2 hours a day)

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5908 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Studies: Polish

Message 8 of 17
28 August 2010 at 9:59pm | IP Logged 
If the target language is very different from anything else you've studied, it'll take an intensive effort to get familiar with it. I'm studying Polish so I study about 4 hours a day (mon-fri) or 1000 hours a year. Any less than this and I don't think I would have the necessary impetus to make real progress.
You're studying some challenging languages; Mandarin, Japanese and Russian....maybe concentrate on one for a year then think about adding another?

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version