Tags: Audiobook | Arabic
 Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
Caesar
United States
Joined 5176 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes

Message 1 of 4
29 August 2010 at 5:55am | IP Logged 
Heh, Im studying Modern Written Arabic and there are a paucity of audio resources available. I wanted to give the L-R method a try and this is a significant obstacle. I have explored in the past creating the audiobooks myself...that is hiring a voice talent to record the book of my choice for me and I was able to find companies that can do this but at the time they price was prohibitive. I was looking to see if anyone else has run into this same problem and would be willing to pool together resources and have an audiobook/audibooks made to facilitate our language learning. This can bring down the cost to reasonable levels. I have several candidate books available in bilingual format to choose from both English books that have been translated into arabic and vice versa. I dont remember the exact price for the conversion but if there enough people interested I can explore it further....
1 person has voted this message useful

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5105 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 2 of 4
29 August 2010 at 8:26am | IP Logged 
Caesar wrote:
I have explored in the past creating the audiobooks myself...

Have a look at this thread. The same idea has been proposed by Cetacea. Out of curiosity, what authors and books do you want to create audiobooks for?

ANK47
Triglot
United States
thearabicstudent.blo
Joined 6882 days ago

188 posts - 259 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), Arabic (classical)

Message 3 of 4
01 September 2010 at 6:23am | IP Logged 
If you want Arabic audio books then the site you should visit is mijobooks.com. They're free and you can download them through the site or through their iTunes podcast. They're not likely to have the specific book you're looking for but they do have a nicely sized library. Arabic has a lot of resources but the problem comes when you try to find them. There are no good search engines that deal with the Arabic language.

Caesar
United States
Joined 5176 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes

Message 4 of 4
01 September 2010 at 10:21am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the link, ill explore it. In response to Dotsujin thanks for the link to that thread. Ill pm the poster and see if he/she is still interested. In terms of authors I was going to go with Arabic classics, including the Cairo Trilogy by Naguib Mahfooz that comes to mind. It would be nice to read them and my vocab isnt that far off from allowing me but I cant get over the nagging suspicion that without hearing the words, the subvocalization that I usually do when reading will lead to a mangled pronounciation.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version