Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Complementing Pimsleur Russian with what?

Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
9 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
Lakkhamu
Diglot
Groupie
Turkey
Joined 5024 days ago

63 posts - 65 votes 
Speaks: English, Turkish*
Studies: Latin, German, Russian

Message 1 of 9
30 August 2010 at 7:09pm | IP Logged 
Hello. I have been studying Russian with Pimsleur for about a month and am at lesson 21. I feel that Pimsleur won't be enough later on and I need a new resource. I tried Michel Thomas but the woman really, REALLY gets on my nerves. I barely could finish foundation CD 1. Assimil, Living Language and Linguaphone aren't possibilities because I can find the books only as e-books which isn't the most convenient thing. I'm planning on using the L-R method but does anyone know of an audio book which is bilingual in Russian and English? Also I tried Tell Me More and it utterly sucks. After finishing Pimsleur III and the other resource, I contemplate on reading books, watching TV and chatting with an msn/skype partner. Has anyone done FSI or DLI? I heard that DLI is military-centered while the FSI isn't that awesome. I would really appreciate any help. Thanks.

Edited by Lakkhamu on 30 August 2010 at 7:11pm

1 person has voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6330 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 2 of 9
31 August 2010 at 2:12am | IP Logged 
21 lessons in 1 month is pretty fast - well done! I do 1 lesson every 2 days, and put everything into anki as I go along. I'm on lesson 6, so this is my 12th day. I finished
this
before starting Pimsleur, but that's it. I listen to at least one RussinPod101
podcast a day. Here is my plan, which a friend helped me set up:

1) learn the alphabet & how to type
2) Pimsleur
3) Michel Thomas (after Pimsleur 1)
4) Learn in Your Car (in the car only after Pimsleur 1)
5) Russian Audio & Reading (Podcasts, Princeton Russian Course, Assimil, etc after Pimsleur 1)
6) Tutor (after Pimsleur 2)
7) Penguin Russian Course
(after Pimsleur 3)
8) Russian video (after Pimsleur 3)
9) Trip to Russia (after Penguin)
10) Russian novels (after Trip to Russia)

The Penguin Russian Course is supposed to be really good, but doesn't have audio. The Princeton course is supposed to be excellent; the only reason I'm not using it for my primary grammar study is that
I prefer a nice neat little book, like Penguin, rather than a messy pile of pdfs and mp3s. I don't like studying on my computer if I can avoid it. I assume LingQ has tons
of material that you could use for LR, although the articles may be too short for you, depending on how you like to do your LR. Anyway, I realize this post doesn't help you much, but I mainly wanted to
wish you good luck, and follow your thread.

3 persons have voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6330 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Studies: Tagalog

Message 3 of 9
31 August 2010 at 2:22am | IP Logged 
Oh, here are some more resources you might like. I use Wordreference
as my dictionary. Their forum is not bad either, but I think the best Russian learning forum is
this.
Acapela is a nice little tool for
playing Russian pronunciation of text that you enter.

hobbitofny
United States
Joined 6013 days ago

280 posts - 408 votes 
Studies: Russian

Message 4 of 9
01 September 2010 at 2:31am | IP Logged 
Linguaphone Russia 1970s and later version is sold on ebay or even new.

Spoken Russian sold by Spoken Language Services is good. They sell with cassettes. I have converted them to mp3 files. About 20 hours of Russian with English. The audio is use able without looking at the book. The book is needed to get the full use of the course. The couse is as good as Modern Russian, but fewer drills and less audio.

Modern Russian 1 and 2 by Dawson is the 1960s Syracuse Project printed by Georgetown University Press. 54+ hours of all Russian audio. It was used by FSI. It is good course. Due to GU having control of copyright, it is not as cheap as the FSI used course of the same time period.

You might like Karavanova's Survival Russian: A course in Conversational Russian with mp3 is about $50. A good bargain for learning about 900 word with grammar, culture commentary, and very real natural Russian dialogues. It has more complete coverage than the FAST Russian. If your focus is oral Russian, it is the best choice to follow Pimsluer.

FAST Russian FSI is a good short course with audio. Some people sell the book printed out. It has more culture notes compared to Survival Russian. However it is not complete in grammar and less sample dialogues. This is the FSI course you refer to?

You might do the PDQ Linguaphone Russian as you do the Pimsleur. It is short and more general introduction to Russian.

What is your goal in learning Russian?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Lakkhamu
Diglot
Groupie
Turkey
Joined 5024 days ago

63 posts - 65 votes 

Message 5 of 9
01 September 2010 at 1:46pm | IP Logged 
Yes. I was talking about the FAST Russian FSI. My goal is to achieve oral and listening fluency mostly, but also written and reading as well. I will try to improve all aspects: Watch Russian TV, read Russian books, chat with Russian people and talk with them through Skype. These are my summed up goals, but oral and audial fluency are first priority.

JPike1028
Triglot
United States
piketransitions
Joined 5177 days ago

297 posts - 337 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Italian
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written), Swedish, Portuguese, Czech

Message 6 of 9
01 September 2010 at 2:53pm | IP Logged 
The Gutenberg Project has Tolstoy's Childhood in English and Russian with audio as I recall. That will at least get you started.

hobbitofny
United States
Joined 6013 days ago

280 posts - 408 votes 
Studies: Russian

Message 7 of 9
01 September 2010 at 3:14pm | IP Logged 
Lakkhamu wrote:
Yes. I was talking about the FAST Russian FSI. My goal is to achieve oral and listening fluency mostly, but also written and reading as well. I will try to improve all aspects: Watch Russian TV, read Russian books, chat with Russian people and talk with them through Skype. These are my summed up goals, but oral and audial fluency are first priority.

I would recommend getting the Survival Russian. It is focused on conversation.

Lakkhamu
Diglot
Groupie
Turkey
Joined 5024 days ago

63 posts - 65 votes 

Message 8 of 9
05 September 2010 at 12:57pm | IP Logged 
Alright, thanks. I was also wondering what will my grammar, vocabulary and fluency levels will be after a finish Pimsleur level III and Michel Thomas Advanced course? I also have 2 opportunities each year to practice my Russian with native people, so I believe that will help some.

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version