Groupie
United States
Joined 4984 days ago

89 posts - 120 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Thai
Studies: French, Arabic (Written), Mandarin, Italian

Message 1 of 10
03 September 2010 at 5:34am | IP Logged 
Certainly a common question, with very inconclusive answers.

I have taken one year of Modern Standard Arabic. I would like my proficient dialect to be Moroccan Arabic (yes, I know it's not very widely understood).

Shortly, I plan on going to Morocco to study the language in a local institute. Should I study Modern Standard, Moroccan, or both simultaneously?

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? Opinions?

Thank you!
1 person has voted this message useful

ANK47
Triglot
United States
thearabicstudent.blo
Joined 6885 days ago

188 posts - 259 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), Arabic (classical)

Message 2 of 10
04 September 2010 at 12:41am | IP Logged 
Personally when I was in your situation, I mean when I had some knowledge of MSA from classes but no knowledge of dialects I was very eager to learn a dialect so I could understand what people were saying and have exposure to a live language. So when I got a chance to learn a dialect I did that instead of studying more MSA. For me MSA is just really boring and lacks emotion and I think the reason for that is the fact that with MSA you're basically limited to the news and official things. There are only a few TV series in MSA and they are mostly historic. If I were you I'd study the dialect when you get to Morocco.
2 persons have voted this message useful

CaucusWolf
United States
Joined 5060 days ago

191 posts - 234 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Arabic (Written), Japanese

Message 3 of 10
04 September 2010 at 2:59am | IP Logged 
ANK47 wrote:
Personally when I was in your situation, I mean when I had some knowledge of MSA from classes but no knowledge of dialects I was very eager to learn a dialect so I could understand what people were saying and have exposure to a live language. So when I got a chance to learn a dialect I did that instead of studying more MSA. For me MSA is just really boring and lacks emotion and I think the reason for that is the fact that with MSA you're basically limited to the news and official things. There are only a few TV series in MSA and they are mostly historic. If I were you I'd study the dialect when you get to Morocco.

I know this has nothing to do with the topic. I was wondering which TV series are in MSA?

Edited by CaucusWolf on 04 September 2010 at 3:01am

apparition
Octoglot
United States
Joined 6438 days ago

600 posts - 667 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), French, Arabic (Iraqi), Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Pashto

Message 4 of 10
04 September 2010 at 4:13am | IP Logged 
You can learn most of your MSA from the internet. I would study the dialect if I were in-
country.

nebojats
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4984 days ago

89 posts - 120 votes 

Message 5 of 10
05 September 2010 at 12:19pm | IP Logged 
Alright, thank you very much for the responses!

I was suspecting that I should focus on the dialect when in country, which is what you confirmed.

Leave MSA for the classroom back in the States.

Thanks again!

nebojats
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4984 days ago

89 posts - 120 votes 

Message 6 of 10
05 September 2010 at 12:21pm | IP Logged 
Also, you may know the answer to this question:

How mututally understandable are the North African dialects?

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6017 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 7 of 10
05 September 2010 at 1:48pm | IP Logged 
ANK47 wrote:
Personally when I was in your situation, I mean when I had some knowledge of MSA from classes
but no knowledge of dialects I was very eager to learn a dialect so I could understand what people were saying and
have exposure to a live language. So when I got a chance to learn a dialect I did that instead of studying more MSA.
For me MSA is just really boring and lacks emotion and I think the reason for that is the fact that with MSA you're
basically limited to the news and official things. There are only a few TV series in MSA and they are mostly historic.
If I were you I'd study the dialect when you get to Morocco.

I second ANK47!   If you want to understand the news and newspapers , go for MSA.   If you actually want to talk to
people, go for darija.   

You can track down the free moroccan arabic courses at the peace corps site and DLIFLC. Harell's Georgetown
course is pretty dry but very intensive with a ton of audio.

theallstar
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5590 days ago

81 posts - 85 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto

Message 8 of 10
08 September 2010 at 9:45am | IP Logged 
apparition wrote:
You can learn most of your MSA from the internet. I would study the dialect if I were in-
country.

Would you be able to give any pointers to some good MSA resources online?

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version