onebir
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6959 days ago

484 posts - 502 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin

Message 1 of 10
04 September 2010 at 4:19pm | IP Logged 
I'd like learn to speak Levantine dialect (& eventually understand/read MSA). But I think I'm going to need to use several (if not more) sets of materials to get very far, and the available materials* are mostly based on different sub-dialects.

It's widely noted that native speakers have little difficult coping with different sub-dialects, but I was wondering if these sub-dialects differ enough to cause real problems to a learner?

Also could anyone confirm which sub-dialect is used in Pimsleur's Eastern Arabic - which would seem to offer an easy way in?

- Palestinian: "Eastern Arabic" Rice & Said; "Speaking Arabic" Elihay; "Colloquial Palestinian Arabic" Isleem; "Course in Levantine Arabic" McCarus (no commercially available audio AFAIK); "Cours d'arabe parlé palestinien" Halloun; "Yalla Nihki Arabi/Let's Speak Arabic" Othman; probably quite a lot of Hebrew-language material
- Syrian: "Syrian Arabic" Liddicoat et al; "Eastern Arabic" Pimsleur; A Reference Grammar Of Syrian Arabic Cowell; DLI Syrian Arabic materials (assumes MSA background)
- Lebanese: "Spoken Lebanese" Feghali, "Arabic You Need" Harb
- Syrian/Lebanese "Shou fi ma fi?: Intermediate Levantine Arabic" Chouairi (assumes MSA background)
- Jordanian: "Living Arabic" Younes, Hugo's "Arabic In Three Months" Asfour
- ????: ; "Levantine Arabic for Non-Natives: A Proficiency-Oriented Approach" Hussein
- and any I've missed?

Edited by onebir on 06 September 2010 at 9:16am

1 person has voted this message useful

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5116 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 2 of 10
04 September 2010 at 4:54pm | IP Logged 
You might find the following FSI book useful:

Levantine and Egyptian Arabic Comparative Study

As the title says, it's actually a comparative study, but if you ignore the Egyptian part, you have a nice mini grammar of Levantine Arabic.

LatinoBoy84
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 5371 days ago

443 posts - 603 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, French
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Latvian

Message 3 of 10
04 September 2010 at 8:44pm | IP Logged 
FSI has a Levantine course in phonology, that is reminiscent of their basic courses

http://fsi-language-courses.org/Content.php?page=Arabic%20Le vantine

CaucusWolf
United States
Joined 5068 days ago

191 posts - 234 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Arabic (Written), Japanese

Message 4 of 10
04 September 2010 at 9:01pm | IP Logged 
   Do you plan on going to one of the countries in which Levantine is spoken? To me it makes no sense to learn a dialect unless you're going to be staying in a country where it's spoken. I also think MSA is far easier if you don't know any natives because there's many resources in it.
    Also being literate will help you a great deal in an Arab country. Learning a dialect is also said to be easy after having a base in MSA as well.

onebir
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6959 days ago

484 posts - 502 votes 

Message 5 of 10
06 September 2010 at 2:39am | IP Logged 
Thanks for pointing out the FSI resources. In particular it hadn't occurred to the that the grammar comparison might be useful for one of two dialects on its own.

Does anyone actually know anything about the degree of similarity between the levantine sub-dialects?

LatinoBoy84
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 5371 days ago

443 posts - 603 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, French
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Latvian

Message 6 of 10
06 September 2010 at 2:43am | IP Logged 
From what I understand, the difference is comparable to that of Brazilian and European
Portuguese, Quebec and Parisian French or that of Azerbaijani and Turkish

ANK47
Triglot
United States
thearabicstudent.blo
Joined 6893 days ago

188 posts - 259 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), Arabic (classical)

Message 7 of 10
06 September 2010 at 7:16am | IP Logged 
Syrian, Lebanese, Jordanian, and Palestinian are all more similar to each other than to Iraqi, Egyptian, or the Gulf dialects, but they still have a lot of differences in vocabulary as well as accent (Syrian and Lebanese are the closest of the group though). However, if you were to master 1 of them you'd have no trouble talking with someone who spoke a different dialect. Now understanding what he is talking about to his friends will be more difficult, especially if he's from a very rural area. You know how they say that in England if you go a few miles to the next village they've got a different way of talking? It's kind of the same way in the Levant.
2 persons have voted this message useful

onebir
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6959 days ago

484 posts - 502 votes 

Message 8 of 10
06 September 2010 at 9:30am | IP Logged 
Thanks again for the info - it seems like there are more resources than I initially thought for each dialect (edited into #1), so it should be possible to concentrate more on one sub-dialect.

It also seems that - pronounciation wise at least - differences between urban Palestinian, and Damascus (central-urban) Syrian varieties are not so great:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Levantine_Arabic

So I guess I could start with Pimsleur & either continue with Syrian or Palestinian resources (& I guess at that stage take a look at some Jordanian/Lebanese materials to see how confusing I find them...)

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version