Bilingual Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4982 days ago

292 posts - 444 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*, Cantonese, Swahili
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written)

Message 17 of 20
29 October 2010 at 11:21pm | IP Logged 
In Swahili, the response after a sneeze is 'Afya Nzuri', which means 'Good health'.
1 person has voted this message useful

jdmoncada
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4843 days ago

470 posts - 741 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Finnish
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 18 of 20
20 February 2011 at 3:33am | IP Logged 
In Finnish, the formalized/book expression when someone sneezes is "terveydeksi". I was in a study room at the university, and said that to someone's sneeze. She later became my friend, and she told me that a real Finn would never actually say that even if that's what the books teach.

She taught me a lot about Finnish, actually. We spoke mostly in English, but she trained me for comfort, especially in small talk.

Thatzright
Diglot
Finland
Joined 5481 days ago

202 posts - 311 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English
Studies: French, Swedish, German, Russian

Message 19 of 20
22 February 2011 at 11:43pm | IP Logged 
jdmoncada wrote:
In Finnish, the formalized/book expression when someone sneezes is "terveydeksi". I was in a study room at the university, and said that to someone's sneeze. She later became my friend, and she told me that a real Finn would never actually say that even if that's what the books teach.

I actually said it a few days ago. People do say it. I do think it's somewhat uncommon and it sort of sounds "booky", but I definitely don't see any sarcastic, ironic or archaic undertones in using it.

WentworthsGal
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4697 days ago

191 posts - 246 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Swedish, Spanish

Message 20 of 20
11 July 2011 at 10:49pm | IP Logged 
In the UK we say "bless you" and the sounds as said before is atchoo. I once worked with a lady from (I think) Nigeria and having hayfever I was sneezing a fair bit. Every time she would say "sorry". Took a couple of sneezes to realise it was her way of saying "bless you". Whether it's just her way or on a larger scale would be interesting to find out :o) x

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version