Tetraglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5814 days ago

128 posts - 192 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian, Mandarin, French
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 1 of 19
07 September 2010 at 6:12am | IP Logged 
One of the hardest things for learning Mandarin for me is the lack of good music to listen to in the language. I can remember hearing about two popular artists that were bearable, ever. I think Chinese traditional music is interesting, but I haven't found any, especially with good Mandarin vocals. Does anyone have suggestions? My tastes are pretty wide other than that so anything would be good.
1 person has voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6393 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 2 of 19
07 September 2010 at 9:17am | IP Logged 
How's this? 谢天笑:约定的地方. That's an old favorite of mine.

This is pretty groovy, too. Please ignore whatever the heck is going on in the beginning of the video. 王力雄:改变自己.

Your tastes might have to be quite broad to like this one, but it's certainly a break from the endless love ballads: 土土:我是老土

If you're more into, uh, Green Day and Avril Lavigne or something, maybe this is your thing: 反光镜:还我蔚蓝. Not my cup of tea, but I judge not.

There's a pretty fun rap song, too, called "在北京", but I don't have time to find it now. Don't remember the name of the band.

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5577 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 3 of 19
08 September 2010 at 7:59am | IP Logged 
I'm all for Cthonic, but they might not be your kind of band ...
What about 张悬/Deserts Chang? She's a solid singer-songwriter and her songs are catchy and have clear sing-along vocals.
蔡琴 sings folk songs, some are pretty nice.

It would be helpful to know which artists you actually heard before and didn't like. Maybe you'll find something via the music alliance pact?

markchapman
Diglot
Groupie
Taiwan
tesolzone.com/
Joined 5283 days ago

44 posts - 55 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Portuguese

Message 4 of 19
19 September 2010 at 10:59am | IP Logged 
A lot of modern Chinese pop music is pretty grim, but I do like a lot of the old Shanghai music from the 1930's. It's
available on itunes.

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6190 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 19
19 September 2010 at 5:47pm | IP Logged 
Jay Chou (Taiwan) and Stefanie Sun (Singapore) are very, very popular singers that I like to listen to now and then.

Jezrul
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5043 days ago

27 posts - 44 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 7 of 19
19 September 2010 at 8:57pm | IP Logged 
paranday wrote:
Now you may think it overly corny, whereas I may think it's merely too
cute...

I like S.H.E, so I second this. As for other cute music, if that's your taste, I'll
nominate Rainie Yang. When I was studying Mandarin, I would listen to the soundtracks
from the dramas I watched. If you don't already know of Sugoideas, you should google it.

Élan
United States
Joined 5255 days ago

165 posts - 211 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Persian

Message 8 of 19
19 September 2010 at 11:50pm | IP Logged 
I had this same problem when I was actively studying Chinese, so I have quite a few suggestions for you.

First, do you visit Neocha? They are always putting out free samplers of Chinese indie music. They also have a downloadable (or web embedded) "NEXT player" that allows you to stream all sorts of Chinese music: indie, folk, rock, electronic, hip-hop...

If you like rock, I'd recommend the "father of Chinese rock", Cui Jian. My personal favorite, though, is the group Baojiajie 43 (鲍家街43号). My favorite songs by them are titled "Loser" and "Small Bird" in English. I also like Xu Wei, particularly his song "Gift".

For something a little more bluesy, I like Hang Tian. I love the "Papa Competition" ("比比爸爸") song.

For something a little more mellow, I like Carrchy (卡奇社)。 I guess I would describe them as a mellow indie band with a a female singer that has an adorable and soothing voice.

For hip-hop, the only group I am familiar with is the group Yin Tsang, who did "Zai Beijing", as Ari mentioned above. It's a fun song--you should check it out!

If you want funny music to laugh at, listen to Xue Cun (雪村)。 His song 东北人都是活雷锋 makes me laugh. If you can find it, his song called "星期三的第二堂课" is too funny: it's about a kid that falls in love with his substitute teacher. “开,开,开出租” also makes me smile.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope it helps. I can recommend more if you want something more "out there", but these should be a good start!

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version