22 messages over 3 pages: 1 2 3  Next >>
souley
Joined 7030 days ago

178 posts - 177 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: Arabic (Written), French

Message 1 of 22
06 March 2006 at 6:26am | IP Logged 
Has anyone on this forum ever tried reading a dictionary cover to cover?

I first came across this technique when I read the autobiography of Malcolm X where he tells of his reading dictionaries to increase his vocabulary.

I did not think more of it until acouple of days ago when I stumpled upon a article on dictionary.com which talks about increasing ones vocabulary, and it says:

Is randomly flipping through the dictionary a good way to learn new words or should one be more systematic?

We recommend reading a dictionary - seriously! Buy the best dictionary (and thesaurus) you can afford. Make notes in them; use a highlighting pencil! You can comb the dictionary for words that will be useful to you. You can set a goal like reading four pages of a dictionary each day. If you love words, it will be a very rewarding experience.

Any experience, good or bad ?

Edited by souley on 06 March 2006 at 6:26am

1 person has voted this message useful

maxb
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6972 days ago

536 posts - 589 votes 
7 sounds
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Mandarin

Message 2 of 22
06 March 2006 at 7:40am | IP Logged 
I have heard that people in China memorize dictionaries to increase their vocabulary when studying foreign languages. I can think of a lot of reasons why this is a bad idea. Here are some:

-It is terribly boring (At least I think)
-You don't get enough context. Context is very important to understand how words are used. Unless you see a word in many contexts you will not get a thorough enough understanding of it. You will only be able to associate it with the translation found in the dictionary. This prevents you from thinking in the language I think.
-A lot of words in the dictionary are fairly useless. If you are going to memorize word lists you should at least get a list of the most common words in the language.
-Unless you are a genius you are bound to forget some of the words. Probably when you need them the most.....

Apart from learning simple concrete nouns (like radiator, helicopter etc.) I don't see how it is possible to increase your vocabulary through a dictionary. I would never do it anyway.

If you instead learn words by reading books and/or watching movies you will learn every word in context and after a lot of reading/watching you are likely to come across the same words over and over again.

Edited by maxb on 06 March 2006 at 7:50am

rafaelrbp
Pentaglot
Brazil
Joined 6802 days ago

181 posts - 201 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Spanish, English, French, Italian
Studies: German

Message 3 of 22
06 March 2006 at 8:04am | IP Logged 
As maxb said, I think it's better to read a book, and use the dictionary every time you don't recognize a word.

This way you are going to learn all words in context and you can also elaborate word lists from these book readings (a lot more useful).

And answering your question, I've just read a dictionary for letters "ch" and "ll" in Spanish (only 200-500 words each). It isn't productive!

souley
Joined 7030 days ago

178 posts - 177 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: Arabic (Written), French

Message 4 of 22
06 March 2006 at 8:08am | IP Logged 
I agree. However I don't believe the idea of reading a dictionary, in the context of which I brought it up, is to memorize every word you see, but rather to get a feel of the language and it's structure.

I have a pretty decent dictionary in my target language which gives 2,3 sentences per word, to learn it's context. And everytime I look up a word in this dictionary, I find myself reading a couple of pages, simply due to sheer interest.

I do reckon however, like you mentioned, that it would become a bit trite and stodgy after a while.

Alfonso
Octoglot
Mexico
Joined 6650 days ago

511 posts - 536 votes 
Speaks: Biblical Hebrew, Spanish*, French, English, Tzotzil, Italian, Portuguese, Ancient Greek
Studies: Nahuatl, Tzeltal, German

Message 5 of 22
06 March 2006 at 8:31am | IP Logged 
I think it's a good idea to "comb" a dictionary in order to learn new words. Another good idea -maybe- could be to subscribe oneself -as I do- to a mailing list to receive "The word of the Day". You receive a different word dayly directly to your e-mail account. This has been for me at least an excellent way to learn learn new words in different languages (mainly in English).

There are many online dictionaries which offer this service for free!

For those who are learning English -as I do- here's an example:

Merriam-Webster Dictionary Word of the Day

or:

Dictionary.com Word of the Day

Edited by Alfonso on 06 March 2006 at 8:33am

Eidolio
Bilingual Octoglot
Belgium
Joined 6650 days ago

159 posts - 164 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Dutch*, Flemish*, French, English, Latin, Ancient Greek, Italian, Greek

Message 6 of 22
06 March 2006 at 10:29am | IP Logged 
haha if you try this I think you'll really need loads of coffee to avoid falling asleep :-D

but Alfonso's hint sounds great - thnx for the link!

Guanche
Hexaglot
Spain
danielmarin.blogspot
Joined 6835 days ago

168 posts - 178 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2, GermanC1, RussianB1, French, Japanese
Studies: Greek, Mandarin, Arabic (Written)

Message 7 of 22
06 March 2006 at 10:59am | IP Logged 
Reading a normal dictionary is not a great idea, but reading a lexicon will boost your vocabulary to amazing levels. When I learn a new language, one of the first things I do is try to buy a lexicon or a book with vocabulary grouped by areas.

maxb
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6972 days ago

536 posts - 589 votes 
7 sounds
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Mandarin

Message 8 of 22
06 March 2006 at 12:15pm | IP Logged 
rafaelrbp wrote:

This way you are going to learn all words in context and you can also elaborate word lists from these book readings (a lot more useful).

This is exactly the way I'm studying now. I'll select a passage from the book and make a word list. Since I also have the audio book I then listen to that bit while at the same time looking at the word list. This way is great I think because the next time I encounter a word I can often remember in what context I saw it last time.

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version