Polyglotted
Triglot
Joined 5010 days ago

35 posts - 40 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Russian, Swedish, Mandarin

Message 1 of 4
08 September 2010 at 2:30am | IP Logged 
I'm learning the grammar of the imperfective and perfective aspects in the past and future tenses in Russian at the moment. I can't quite get some of the examples of when one is used over another. Are the uses basically the same as the Spanish imperfect and perfect tenses for the past, except with different verbs rather than different endings?
1 person has voted this message useful

RedKing'sDream
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5580 days ago

53 posts - 68 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian
Studies: Ukrainian

Message 2 of 4
08 September 2010 at 10:30pm | IP Logged 
This is perhaps the most nuanced part of Russian grammar and almost invariably difficult for speakers of non-Slavic languages to master.

As a brief (but inadequate) rule of thumb, the imperfective is used for actions viewed as being iterative, where the focus is on the duration, or where the action is seen as an incomplete part of larger action or intended action. The perfective is used for actions where the focus is on the completion or result.

This description is probably not sufficient to let one predict the correct usage in every case. There are probably some exceptions, some cases in which the intuition is difficult to grasp, some in which the meaning can change depending on the form used, and some cases in the infinitive in which only one form is allowed.

I don't know Spanish, but the mapping with French aspect, for example, is not one-to-one, I think.

Give me some of the examples and I'll do my best to describe why it's one and not the other.

Edited by RedKing'sDream on 08 September 2010 at 10:31pm

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6220 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 3 of 4
08 September 2010 at 11:58pm | IP Logged 
Polyglotted wrote:
I'm learning the grammar of the imperfective and perfective aspects in the past and future tenses in Russian at the moment. I can't quite get some of the examples of when one is used over another. Are the uses basically the same as the Spanish imperfect and perfect tenses for the past, except with different verbs rather than different endings?

They're almost entirely different. "Imperfect" and "imperfective" sound enough alike to be confusing, but have surprisingly little in common.

reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6228 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 4 of 4
09 September 2010 at 7:24am | IP Logged 
easy peasy

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version